Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Help Choosing suspension, Opinions wanted

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 05:05 PM
HCF Member

I had to bring this thread back up because I plan on purchasing my setup at the end of the month and really have no Idea where I want to go.

My entire suspension budget is about $1200. Should have another $1200 in april for it, but plan on spending that mostly on wheels tires and interior.

So here is where I am.

I can get a Koni yellow / gc package for about $850. That sounds good. Question is do I need top hats? The top hats are about 100 bucks a set. Not sure if I need to be spending my money on that.

The other thing I have been looking at it is the Skunk II pro-S II full coil over setup. I really like the design they went with on these after reading how you can preload the spring independent from the ride hight adjustment, just not sure if this would be comparable to the Koni yellow / gc setup. I can get the Skunk 2 Pro-s two setup for about $730 shipped.

That would give me some extra money to play with for a rear swaybar, LCA's bushings and a SI transmission that I want.

Help?

Old 01-13-2011, 07:49 PM

I'm not sure with 4th gens but for 5th and probably 6th gens it's a good idea to get the front extended top hats, especially if you plan on being as low as 2" or more and have softer spring rates. The rear isn't necessary, there's plenty of travel room back there. I'd recommend getting the front, I know the 4th gen's suspension isn't far from different than the later models.

The new Skunk2 coilovers are nice, but they come with pretty high spring rates and valving to match. They are great for slamming the car but if your not into that and want a comfortable ride, stay away from them. Ground-Control's standard rates matched with the Koni's will give a good, sporty ride but not horribly uncomfortable.

Old 01-13-2011, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
I'm not sure with 4th gens but for 5th and probably 6th gens it's a good idea to get the front extended top hats, especially if you plan on being as low as 2" or more and have softer spring rates. The rear isn't necessary, there's plenty of travel room back there. I'd recommend getting the front, I know the 4th gen's suspension isn't far from different than the later models.

The new Skunk2 coilovers are nice, but they come with pretty high spring rates and valving to match. They are great for slamming the car but if your not into that and want a comfortable ride, stay away from them. Ground-Control's standard rates matched with the Koni's will give a good, sporty ride but not horribly uncomfortable.
I think I am gunna go with the skunk 2 Pro-s II. I am not sure where I want my ride hight, but im sure after I get some new wheels, I am gunna wanna slam it. It will also give me some more money to play with and it fits into my budget a little more.

I really do appreciate your input on all this. I know you know a lot (i mean a lot) about the subject and your opinion really does help me.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:43 PM

Sounds good. If you go with the Skunk2s, can you let us know how they are(material, quality, ride, etc..)? Just looking to get more info. on them.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by civicexracer
Sounds good. If you go with the Skunk2s, can you let us know how they are(material, quality, ride, etc..)? Just looking to get more info. on them.
Forsure. Hopefully I can do a write up when I install them. Should be getting them early February.

Old 01-21-2011, 10:50 PM

ok, I read all that and I'm a little confused...
My civic has 16' with Yokohama's on it. I'd like to lower it just a little bit (1 or 1.5 should be good). It is a daily driver and I won't be doing any racing, just the occasional back road. I want to know if I can just put lowering springs on it, or do I have to get other things. I'm on a limited budget (college Student) and need some advice so I don't mess something up.
Someone was saying to cut the springs, but I only see problems in the future as a result. I'm sorry for bothering you guys with such a stupid question, but any advice would be great.

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 97dxlovr
ok, I read all that and I'm a little confused...
My civic has 16' with Yokohama's on it. I'd like to lower it just a little bit (1 or 1.5 should be good). It is a daily driver and I won't be doing any racing, just the occasional back road. I want to know if I can just put lowering springs on it, or do I have to get other things. I'm on a limited budget (college Student) and need some advice so I don't mess something up.
Someone was saying to cut the springs, but I only see problems in the future as a result. I'm sorry for bothering you guys with such a stupid question, but any advice would be great.

Cutting the springs is probably the worst thing that you can do. Just stay away from that.

You have a few options. Lowering springs will be okay, but you run the risk of blowing out the shock. This is because the shock will run compressed for the most of the time causing the piston to wear out and thus blow the shock.

You should upgrade the shock to one that is made for lowering (either a full coilover, or a shock/spring combo). These shocks are specially designed for shorter shock travel and can accommodate a lower stance on the car.

What is your budget and car. There are plenty of price options available out there for lowing a car, especially if its just an inch or so.