Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Need help with shocks

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 10:38 AM
HCF Member

well i finished my search for shocks and springs, and i found some tokico illuminas adjustable shocks, with tokico 1.5 dropped springs. i also bought some MUGGEN Strut bars for the front and back. do you suggest any other things i should buy for good shock performance?.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jrestrepo589
well i finished my search for shocks and springs, and i found some tokico illuminas adjustable shocks, with tokico 1.5 dropped springs. i also bought some MUGGEN Strut bars for the front and back. do you suggest any other things i should buy for good shock performance?.
be careful with the adjusters on the tokicos. I've heard they break easily. Just adjust them gently. lol
do the shocks come with new strut dust boots?
if not, i recommend getting some KYB ones from tirerack.com
the stock ones tend to squeak on lowered cars.
KYB ones aren't too expensive

Old 09-11-2008, 04:45 AM
HCF Member

yea the kyb's are the cheapest ones i found. and they're good.
but is still expensive for that little piece. 14 each

Old 09-11-2008, 05:36 AM
HCF Member

how important are those strut boots on my suspension?

i've been reading alot ABOUT camper kits, toe in, toe out, caster and all this other crap. but its very good and useful info. now, i dont want my tires to wear out fast, and supposedly when you lower a car, the stock camber f***s up and needs to be replaced.

1- ANY AMOUNT OF LOWERING WILL AFFECT CAMBER IN THE NEGATIVE DIRECTION.

2- THE CAMBER WILL NOT RESULT IN EXCESS TIRE WEAR BUT WILL RESULT IN ALIGNMENT ANGLES WHICH ARE NOT IDEAL OR ARE OUT OF SPEC. THE CAMBER WILL LIKELY BE VISUALLY APPARENT.

3- THE ONLY WAY TO FIX NEGATIVE CAMBER ON HONDA/ACURA VEHICLES IS WITH A CAMBER KIT.

but they say also that camber kit is not necessary only a good *** alignment. now WHICH ONE IS IT??????

Old 09-11-2008, 05:42 AM
HCF Member

For Hondas, a camber kit is a debatable issue. When you lower the car, the camber will go out and you need a camber kit to fix it. However, I find it is not necessary to correct the camber in most cases. Most people think they need a camber kit because of a tire-wear concern. The reality is, TOE ANGLE kills tires WAY faster than camber ever will.

Well, there is another adjustment/spec here than nobody has mentioned. Caster is another key. Caster is great for high speed stability. That is why all cars have some dialed in. Without it, the car would be super twitchy and hard to control at speed. It's why autobahn burners have more caster than your typical Japanese car.

The problem is, when you lower the car and toe angle is thrown out, the wheels are actually riding on the inside edges of the tire as they grind away pulling the car in different directions! This is in addition to the increased camber effect! With an improper alignment the car will WASTE tires in a matter of months.

The trick to lowering the car and having the tires last is to get a good 4-wheel alignment to fix the toe angle

Old 09-11-2008, 09:23 AM

with a mild drop a camber kit is not necessary. a little bit of negative camber won't hurt

Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
HCF Member

ok./..yea just a good alignment!