Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

need some swab bar enlightening please

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:29 PM
HCF Member
Default need some swab bar enlightening please

just getting into autocross, well raced about 8 races this year and need some sway bars but im not sure what sizes and what brands are good to get. my set up now is koni yellow with ground control coilovers, spring rate 320/360, going to get some function 7 lower control arms and rear subframe brace. my car is a 2000 civic dx so i dont have a front swap bar either. i have read that you want a larger front sway bar than rear and keep them proportioned about the same but i dont know if this is true for autocross and what sizes are good, this is where my knowledge falls shout and could use some help from either someone whos knows a lot of this or who races and knows how these things affect the car during racing as well as street driving or maybe just has a link to some good info i could read, thanks

Old 11-03-2010, 12:03 PM

First of all, before you buy the Fuction7 Subframe brace, you should make sure w/e swaybar kit you buy dosen't already come with one. On our FWD double wish-bone suspension cars, a big front swaybar usually isn't what you want, depending on spring rates and esp for autox. With your current spring rates and no front bar, I'd suggest either getting a small rear bar, maybe around 18mm. OR, get front and rear bars, front around stock size and rear maybe around 22-23mm. Anything larger than 18mm in the rear with those spring rates and no front bar I can see causing the car to have a little too much oversteer.

I can't look up companies but I believe Suspension Tehniques carries a bar around 18mm. The Integra Type R bars are commonly used as well. I use the 22mm Type R bar with Beaks subframe kit and no issues at all.

On the street, swaybars don't really make much of a difference ride quality wise. However, too large of a rear bar could cause snap oversteer which would be real dangerous on the streets, esp when wet.

Old 11-07-2010, 03:41 AM
HCF Member

do you happen to know if the coupe sway bar will fit a hatch, im not sure if anything is different but some companies don't list a sway bar for the hatch?

and i looked up Suspension Techniques and a site came up
http://www.stsuspensions.com/
im not sure if this is the same people or if this is a knock off of a totally different company but they dont list a sway bar for a 00 civic hatch even

but i think i have desided to go with the 18mm rear and leave the front alone for now, save me some money and see how i like it with the rear and go from there, plus ive read my dx needs some ex parts to even mount the front sway bar but i havent looked at it yet to make sure