Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Rims in Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Default RE: Rims in Winter

Ok, let me explain the situation in more detail. I have steelies right now with the tires that were on the car when i bought it, Cooper Lifeliners. Never heard of them but the tread seems to be pretty good considering they are 4 yrs old. Stock size 185-65-14. I think I will keep them for the winter since thinner wheels are better for snow. For the Slips I don't race or anything so i wasn't looking for summer performance tire. I'd rather have all season just to be safe. I was thinking of keeping the rims on in the winter with the all season tires but that doesn't seem to be a good idea based on the feedback. i don't really care about aesthetics but i want to get the slips with 205-50-15 tires for more grip and lower weight from steelies. I would prefer to get rid of the steelies instead of keeping them as that is a lot of space I gotta keep. I was just thinking of getting the Slips this spring and then keeping them on my car from now on with all seasons. i don't care if snow/salt makes them look bad as long as they are structurally sound. But if I got summer tires, when could I use them until. Would they still be good now even tho its cold (20-30 degrees) but no snow/salt, or is there a temperature threshold. Also, if I got slips would I have to get hub rings or are they just plug and play. Thank you very much!!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Default RE: Rims in Winter

I had Cooper Lifliner Classic II's on my Civic many years ago. Unless they've changed how they build them I'd dump those tires ASAP. Put an ad in Crags List for them after you mount up decent winter tires as long as they have decent tread life left in them. Sell them for triple what tire Disposal fee would be. I would not even want my Grandma driving around on them.

My advice is keep the steel 14" rims for some Michelin X Ice tires studdless. I'm currently running Michelin Alpine Ice now. They stick like glue when new in the most dangerous of conditions: black Ice and wet snow that is packed just at freezing and above. Yes the same conditions that keeps the body shops busy. If you drive on unplowed deeper snow in a rural areas or scary driveways to your log cabin then studs are the way to go. I ran some Cooper Weather Masters with studs, far better built tire than Cooper Lifeliners, when my Civic was new and I was able to drive much faster with much control at speeds I will not admit to here. I also threw a bunch of studs that year.

It's not worth your insurance deducible, a minor fender bender, your life or some else's to save a few nickel's in the winter. Yes some All Season Tires do pretty well new but still it's not worth being cheap in this area. I've had knuckle heads spin out in front of me in the winter and I've always been able to steer clear of them every time.