Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Suspension Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Default Suspension Advice?

[align=left]Alright so basically i want to lower my car a tad... and i'm not very educated on how to do so
Anyone want to give me some advice on the best way to go around doing this?
Right now i have some aftermarket 14" rims (don't worry they came with the car), but i plan to buy 17's soon
I also plan to swap out my stock engine for a b18 or h22 in about a year
so... keeping all this in mind, would i have to buy a new suspension for the new engine? or can i get one that will accomidate my stock engine, and then also work with my new one....
help?
[/align]

Old 08-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: Suspension Advice?

first off, welcome to the forums!

now, this is kind of tricky. Honestly, I'd recommend getting coilovers (Skunk2, Ground Control, etc... get a reputable brand... no ebay suspensions, please!)... that way, you can tailor the drop to exactly how low you want your car to be. Then, once you get a bigger engine, assuming the car drops down a little in front (as I've heard h22's do [from someone with an h22 swap]), you can just raise the car back up a little. Also, if you have it too low and get 17's, they'll rub. If you have springs, you're basically SOL, but if you have coilovers, you can just raise it up enough that the wheels don't rub. Live in a place with rough winters? Your front bumper might just become a snowplow if you have lowering springs. With coilovers, no problem... just raise the car up again! See what I'm getting at here? lol...Then again, as an owner of Ground Control coilovers, I might be just a little biased towards them lol.

Oh, and I'd recommend getting new struts if you get new springs... I don't see a point in pulling the suspension apart twice...