Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

suspension drop kits, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Default suspension drop kits, help needed

ok so im thinking about lowering my 99 civic ex coupe. and im wondering what kits people like or dislike so i can avoid that nasty trial and error stage lol

i saw the eibach kits with 4 springs and lower about 1 inch on ebay, good or not good?

thanks guys!

Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM

anybody?

Old 02-10-2010, 07:48 AM
Super Cereal Admin

Well, what's your budget?

If you're looking to lower the visible amount of wheel gap, a 1" drop will help a little, but it's not terribly noticeable unless you have a stock-height car next to it for comparison.

If you're looking for something a little lower, Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico HP ("blues) struts are a very popular combination, and will lower the car just under 2", which will pretty much eliminate wheel gap, but not so much that you're tucking tire.

If you want adjustability and have a decent budget, Ground Control coilovers and KONI yellows are an extremely popular combination, though pricey. For something a little cheaper, you could do what I did and go with the Ground Control and KYB AGX combo, but if you're tucking tire, expect to blow out a strut or two each year. I think it set me back around $800, but that's including all new rear OEM Honda LCA bolts and polyurethane rear LCA bushings and polyurethane rear strut-mount bushings. Of course, that's not including the two struts I had to replace within a year, but I consider a few blown struts an acceptable loss for a 3.5" drop up front and a 4" drop out back

Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM

haha yeah thats a bit too low for a DD.
but i think a 1 inch drop would be perfect, i just dont know which kit to go with, is the eibach a decent kit? can i just get the springs and call it a day for a 1 inch drop or do i need struts too? thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Super Cereal Admin

If they're true Eibach springs, they're good springs. Unfortunately, it's eBay, so you're running a chance of buying knockoffs.

Really, it's recommended that you replace the struts since you'll already have the suspension apart, but not technically necessary. Basically, the idea stems from the fact that if, later on down the road, one of your stock struts blows out due to accelerated wear and tear from stiffer springrates inherent in lowering springs, you'll need to take the suspension apart at one or more corners to replace the strut.

So you really don't need to replace the struts, but if your budget allows for it, I'd heavily recommend you replace them.