Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

tire noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default tire noise

Well, I raised my car back up for winter today. I took it out for a drive a few minutes back, and I've got to say, the tire noise is terrible. Under 25mph it's nice and quiet, but then you can hear a droning noise coming from pretty much all four corners of the car after 25mph. It seems to be worst from 30mph to 50mph. Anyway, would the toe being off cause this noise? I've had the noise since I first lowered my car (never got an alignment, but I have a good reason for not doing so), but it's gotten worse since I raised it back up.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Default RE: tire noise

are any of ur tires worn out alot or one worn out more than others? that could be the cause, atleast i think. mine are very loud, louder than my exhaust, and i think its because one of my tires is almost bald and it sounds like its coming from that one.

Old 11-05-2007, 03:51 AM
HCF Member

bent rim?

Old 11-05-2007, 04:46 AM
HCF Member

When I "winterize" my 06, I also put on the stock tires and wheel's. Your still on the "cool wheels" and your gettin a different sound? Thats wild. I wonder if getting it off the ground has caused some sort of air turbulence, letting you hear more of the swirlling air under the car.
Typically a poor alignment will not make noise....typically.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I'm sorry, I forgot to say... the winter wheels (stock steelies) are back on the car. I know the toe was (and is) off, since the front tires (the front was lowered like 3 months before the rear was) on my 17's were absolutely f****d up (the passenger side was down to the steel belt). What confuses me is that the tires are silent around right-hand turns (but louder around left-hand turns).

It wouldn't be the negative camber, would it? Because if that's the case, I'm almost willing to spend the money on a camber kit to shut my tires up... I want to hear my engine and exhaust again lol... well, that and I'd really like to be able to talk to passengers and not have to shout for them to hear me.

I think I'll call and make an appointment at the local Midas to get the thing aligned this week... I didn't mind destroying my Coopers (goodbye cooper zeon zpt's, hello falkens fk452's ) since I need to pull the tires off to have my wheels powdercoated anyway... I don't feel like buying another set of winter tires though.