Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

wheel size

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 04:08 PM
HCF Member
Default wheel size

Alright... so currently my wheels are like 15 inches I think... If I get larger wheels would it screw up things with the car in the way of calculating mileage, engien performence, etc... Or... if I have some shop put the wheels on for me, do they tune up all that stuff for me?

Or... do I just put the wheels on and go, and everything still works the same way.

I am just a bit confused.

-kelleykid

Old 08-19-2007, 04:43 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: wheel size

First, go here:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/index...e&index=xx

Punch in your car's year, model, etc. When you select a larger-than-stock wheel, you will see the recommended tire size for that wheel. The goal is to keep the overall diameter of the tire the same as what the factory supplied. The larger the wheel, the smaller the aspect ratio of the tire and the smaller the sidewall flex when rounding a corner. However, at some point, the ride will become punishing. 17s and 18s generally fall into this category. I'd stay away from aspect ratios below 45 (example: 205/16/45 is a nice size). In addition, you should make sure that the new tire/wheel combo is not heavier than what you have now.I posted info about that, not too long ago. Choose your wheels carefully. I receommend Rotas because they are reasonably priced and fairly light.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: wheel size

When you go into the bigger wheel sizes, you start getting into smaller tires, too. The general idea is to keep the overall diameter of the wheel/tire the same. For the most part (unless you're going +4" or more), the overall diameter will be close enough (I used to have 14's, now I have 17's; the wheel/tire size is about 3% bigger. For me, that's acceptable). Here... use this to help you figure out how much your speedo/odo will be off if you get larger wheels: http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp