Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Wieght loss ???? Power to wieght ratio ???

Old 03-13-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Wieght loss ???? Power to wieght ratio ???

Ive got a 94 ex coupe... Is there any key points to cut weight out to up my power to weight ratio? i want to make my car faster and lighter around the autocross track. i know lots of racer drive hb's because of their low weight but i love my coupe. any tips on how to slim my car down? Ive swaped out the front seats already and gutted the trunk.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Wieght loss ???? Power to wieght ratio ???

uh well if u want to autox, u might want to think a little about wut class u want to be placed in before u start stripping ur car out. if u plan on running stock or sts, u cant do any weight reduction(IE: no pullin out spare tire, no pullin out carpet, leave door panels on, etc..). if u really want to get around the course faster, u need to become a faster driver. take some autox novice schools, that'll help u out alot. autox isnt all about weight and power, thats more for drag racing...since u've posted this in S/B/T/W thread...i dont think any struts or springs are going to be much lighter than stock so no real help there. brakes, again no real help their either. tires, there are some that weight less than others but if u want to cut that weight down alot, u'll need thinner tires in which u can lose some of that great handling u would prolly want to keep. wheels, theres something u can do that cansignificantely make a difference. ur stock wheels are prolly just a lil over 30lbs with tire. if u go to a real lightweight wheel, u could drop that to about 20lbs or so with tire. over all u could be losing up to 40lbs just from lighter wheels. thats a huge difference and its def. noticable since u'll be using less power to get the wheels spinning and more power to the ground.

Old 03-13-2007, 07:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wieght loss ???? Power to wieght ratio ???

30 --> 20 lbs. each with tire? i wish, most tires weight about 15-25lbs. each, then add the rim weight.

in my case:

currently have 205/40/R17 = 18 lb. tires, 23 lb. rim Total = about 41+ lbs. X 4 wheels = 164+ lbs.unsprung weight

getting: 195/55/R15 - 15 lb. tires, 12.9 lb. rim Total = about 28 lbs. X 4 wheels = 112 lbs.unsprung weight

so a total of 42 lbs. or more (with light weight lugs) of unsprung weight reduction, which is a lot more effective than reducing sprung weight (body weight reduction)