Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Advice on best option for an LSD and trans replacement

Old 10-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Default Advice on best option for an LSD and trans replacement

I've got a '98 EX Coupe with a stick 2nd has a bad synchro and it's been "fixed" thrice by the dealer while still under warranty. I've owned the car since new and it's got low miles. The car is essentially bone stock and I live in the rustbelt. So having sold my '01 A4 Quattro earlier this year I'm in need of getting the old girl ready for the winter. I've already got snows on steelies but want to replace the trans and swap in a new LSD.

What are the best options?

TIA

Old 10-30-2014, 08:56 AM

Did you install a LSD in the car? IIRC, D series did not come with LSD nor was there an option for it. Find another used D series trans and toss 'er in

Old 11-03-2014, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the reply cvcrcr99, I should have qualified that the car doesn't currently have an LSD in it and therein lies my concern. AFAIK most of the LSD installs usually involve an engine swap since D series motors are more limited to which trans will mate to the motor.

I'm not looking to swap motors but will be replacing the stock trans w/another and probably rebuilding that one. I don't trust the case at this point mainly because I also don't think the dealer ever did properly fix the problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but my 98 EX should have an S40 and it probably also has the beefier bearings and splines.

At this point I'm just weighing my options and planning ahead. The car has been so reliable that I'll never get rid of it. So the first order of business is to address the trans problem once and for all. The LSD is for insurance in the snow since I don't feel like getting caught in a blizzard, passing a mammoth snow plow in a ditch and then having to guess wrong where the road is again. I much prefer the option of stopping when the whiteout hits since an open diff doesn't really afford that level of caution.

Hal

Getting my hands dirty isn't the problem but getting good advice on which LSD to purchase is what I'd like.