Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Questions about transmission & brake fluid changes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM
Sho
Default Questions about transmission & brake fluid changes

I own a 2005 DX Civic coupe automatic. The sales/service place I've been taking it to has been fine for oil changes & tire rotations, as far as I can tell. However, they're not really used to Civics. When I brought it in to have the brake fluid replaced, they seemed to think this was overkill, so I just had them bleed the brakes and check the color. When I brought it in to have the automatic transmission fluid replaced, they sent me to a parts place to get a filter. The parts place asked for a transmission number, and later the VIN, because there seemed to be more than one filter for my car. They finally got what looked like a screw-on filter. The filter is at the sales/service place at the moment, so I can't give a parts number for it. The sales/service place couldn't eyeball where the filter should go, and gave up on the transmission fluid change.

I have a number of questions:
1. Is what they did for the brake fluid enough? Can I leave it alone without worry for another couple of years?
2. When the manual says to replace the transmission fluid, do they mean drain and refill, or flush (drain & refill times three)?
3. I don't see anything in the manual about a transmission fluid filter. Does one really exist? If so, do I really need to replace it along with the fluid? If so, where is the filter? I would need pictures, a diagram, or a detailed description. Again, I'm driving a 2005 DX Civic coupe automatic. It's a 7th generation Civic, I think. Please don't give advice for older or newer civics.
4. Do I really need to use the official Honda brake & transmission fluids, or will DOT 3/4 and DEXRON III automatic transmission fluid work about as well?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:22 PM
HCF Member

always use honda tranny fluid, and don't mix an match brake fluids. you don't have to routinely replace the entire brake fluid. only bleed it when changing the brakes. you don't have to flush the tranny fluid, only drain and refill.

Old 10-23-2008, 01:58 AM
Sho

I've been hearing lately to only use Honda tranny fluid. Earlier, I would have just assumed that a generic was about the same thing.
I wasn't planning to mix generic Dot 3 brake fluid with generic Dot 4, but I might've let my service guys put in one of them without paying attention which or flushing the Honda brake fluid. I'll try to find out more before putting in anything but Honda fluid.
My service manual says to replace the brake fluid every three years, but my service guys thought checking it was enough. I assumed that was what the bleeding was for, just to check the color.
I didn't think I had to flush the tranny, unless maybe I put in some generic and wanted to get rid of it. Thanks for confirming.

It seems hard to be absolutely sure about what to do. I might try checking Consumer Reports first, but I'll probably end up taking my car to an out-of-town Honda service joint and paying their prices, to speed things up and play it safe. Maybe I'll be able to return the filter if I don't need it, if I don't delay too much.
I probably won't be watching this thread much anymore, but feel free to leave advice for other people with the same questions I had, or for the sake of debate.

Old 10-23-2008, 08:32 PM

yea you only want to use Honda tranny fluid

Old 10-23-2008, 08:44 PM
HCF Member

like other's said only use honda tranny fluid. i think drain and fill is enough unless like me put the wrong tranny fluid. i originally put in regular honda auto trans fluid using the drain and fill. turns out my cars been making some grinding/ grumbling sound and later found out that i needed to use the cvt trans fluid which cost twice as much as regular fluid. so i brought it to honda and had them flush. unless your like me then drain and fill would be good. never heard about that tansmission filter thing you are talking about

Old 10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
HCF Member

in my opinion you might consider the flush because drain and fill is only partial drain because there is still some in the torque converter use honda fluid only brake fluid i would say do the test strip your self and tyhat will tell you what you need to do with that you do have to flush the system periodically because brake fluid seekks out moisture it is very hygroscopic i know this becaus eim am going to school for this so depending on the color is when it needs to be flushed if avoided and fluidis contaminated then it can wear seals and other components thats my advice and your tranny should have a filter where? im not sure

Old 10-27-2008, 06:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

NEVER FLUSH A TRANNY!!!!!!!!! any transmission shop that tells you you should should be never returned too!!!!!!!!! what flushing does is YES it knocks all the debri stuck to the walls BUT WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU is that inside your tranny it has many screen filters inside it which are there to keep debri out of some areas... well when they flush the tranny all the debri gets stuck on those screens which will cause tranny failure in a matter of time! what happens is the debri cloogs up the screens and doesnt allow as much fluid to pass thru to help cool the tranny and in time your tranny overheats and burns up... leaving you with a bill for a rebuilt tranny!

and most hondas ive read about have trany filters BUT are not changable... they can only be changed if you tear apart the tranny which is definatly not worth it!

what i HIGHLY HIGHLY SUGGEST is just drain and refill your tranny fluid with OEM fluids and for that extra security buy some magnetic drain plugs!
http://www.teammfactory.com/products...0Drain%20Plugs

i bought those for my old 94 and my 99 civic and they are very strong! any metal shavings will get stuck on those plugs and should definatly help you for a longer drivetrain life!