Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Tranny noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 PM
HCF Member
Default Tranny noise

There is probably a post on this topic somewhere, but I could not find it. I have a 95 civic lx 4 door with a 1.5 sohc non-vtec motor and manual transmission. When I got the car I noticed a bearing type of noise that went away when I pushed the clutch in. So I figured it was the throw out bearing and I would either have to put a clutch in it or just leave it becuase they rarely seize up. But as I drove the car, the noise either got worse or I just noticed it more. Then, I noticed that when I put it in 2nd or 1st when the car is rolling, the tranny makes a slight whiny noise. I heard that main bearings go out in these allot. And I saw in the DIY area that there is a step by step guide to replacing them becuase of that problem. But I noticed that it was for SI trannys. So I geuss my question is, is this a common problem for most honda manuals? And, should I go with the guide for the SI tranny on replacing the main bearing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Tranny noise

It mostly likely be your main bearing on the tranny, it the same procedure as how I rebuilt my SI tranny you see on DIY. I have seen a TSB for trannymain bearing before but forgot which year it covers, but its’ very common that the bearing goes out on Civic manual tranny.