Transmission & Differential All trans and diff topics can be found within.

Transmission help

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Default Transmission help

Car: 97 civic hatch with gsr swap motor and trans, 6 puck pro clutch.

I started having problem after i put my snow tires on this weekend. I had the front end jacked up for quite awhile becuase i had to run and get a few new wheel studs and change them. maybe 2 hours total, i dont know if this had an effect just trying to give all information.

After that i noticed the clutch pedel travel was alot shorter but i have to push the clutch all the way to the ground for it to disengage. I pulled the pedel up and basiclly just jiggled it around untill it returned to its normal height. That returned the pedel to its normal feel but im having problems with the gear engagement now. I have to ram the shifter to get it into the right gear, and there ocassinaly a grinding sound. I think the clutch is not disengaging all the way.

I need some help I'm new to honda's and FWD manual trannys. How are the clutchs operated, cable or hydrolic? It is adjustable, did i screw something up when i was jacking up the car?

Thanks for any help

Old 12-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Default RE: Transmission help

Your clutch is most likely hydraulic. It will be a small master cylinder on either side of the brake cylinder. If you have no or low fluid in there you need to bleed it because you would have most likely gotten air in the lines. Take it to a shop or your dealer and have them bleed it for you. Be sure that they reverse bleed it. That is the only way you can do it on a hydraulic clutch on a civic. If you (or they) try and bleed your clutch lines like you bleed your brake lines, then you will end up with bigger problems than you can imagine! Good luck!

Old 12-07-2005, 07:26 PM
HCF Member

Poly shift bushings will help you get a better shift feel. Sounds like a clutch fluid problem though.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

ive always bled my clutch like a brake system, though reverse bleeding is a little easier by yourself, depending on how you do it.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:39 PM

My fluid is full, but im guessing maybe when i had it jacked up for so long maybe the fluid shifed and it let air into the system. I'll have to take it to a shop when i get the chance, unless someone has a good tutorial on how to reverse bleed a system.

Plus its snowing like crazy where I am right now. I'm going nowhere for a while.