Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

the big three upgrade,more power

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 09:36 AM
HCF Member
Default the big three upgrade,more power

im starting the big thre upgrade.i should be done this week...so i will post pics as i gothe first step is to buy after marketbattery terminal with 0 gauge connections.i got em for 7 bucks a piece.
#1 you have to pull off old terminals and replace em with your new fancy connectors.the possative side is simple,the ground side you need to replace the whole wire and chassy ground it.i made sure to scuff the paint off for a good contact.you can use this spot for more grounding if needed.
#2 next replace the entire ground from the block to the chassy with the same 0 gauge.chassy ground it also.again i made sure the paint is scuffed off for good contact.
#3 run a piece of 0 gauge from the altinator to the posative battery terminal.that is the big three upgrade.but theres more to come.dual batteries,and a bigger 200 amp alt,eventually replace the a.c. pump with another 200 amp alt when needed.i will try to upload good pics as i go

Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 AM
HCF Member
Default the battery

pics of battery,the new connectors and the 0 gauge wire.notice on the fire wall i put an isolator for the dual battery setup.you dont have to do that,butim gonna put a battery bank in the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails the big three upgrade,more power-2012-04-18-19.34.51.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
HCF Member
Default block ground

replaced 1 of the block grounds...in front next to the radiator.

Attached Thumbnails the big three upgrade,more power-2012-04-18-19.35.06.jpg  
Old 04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
HCF Member

lol, why'd you loop it around the power steering resivour (sp?) like that?

I need to do this same upgrade, but without the dual batteries and with much smaller wire...

Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 PM

I am sure it helps with electrical grounding, but good lord you made the engine bay that much more of a wiring mess. Can you tuck those wires a little better?

I guess I am used to the (semi-)"tucked" engine bay look seeing one that is stock frightens me

EDIT - I need new battery terminals and I am thinking about getting something that looks like yours. How do you like them?

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 04-19-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:54 AM
HCF Member

i didnt want it trunniing acrossed the way it was,just straight across radiator.i was trying to tuck at least that much,hahaha,its pretty hard crap to work with bending wise.i know its overkill for now,but it wont be by the end of summer.4 gauge is still pretty thick,and offers more flex.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:06 AM
HCF Member

cvcrcr,and with the tucking,im gonna get it looking better,but im not done yet,i still have to run 2 more wires that size,3 when the 2nd alt materializes,and then im gonna batten it up better.yes they are laying kind of out there.eventually i should be running the 2- 200 amp alt's,then this wire will make sense.and in the trunk,i have a big deep cycle right now,but eventually im gonna go with 3 or 4 kennetics audio cels,basically a smaller version sealed deep cycle.its kind of ghetto right now,the finished product should be..less imbarressing,lol.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

cvcrcr,um the terminals are great,but make sure they send you the little ground sleave.the ground post is sometimes smaller on batterys,at least mine was,and the ground would not clamp down,with out the little metal sleave that goes around the post and then the clamp goes over that.they make them,but guess who bought 2 possative terminals thinking it would be o.k.it was less then 15 for both,free shipping.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

make sure you upgrade all the grounds, my engine has like 6, tranny, block, other side of block, ac, battery, and another small one down in the engine. Also upgrade the alternator and its ground. I couldnt see your pics cause i was not logged in, so im just mentioning everything just incase. Failure to upgrade everything can lead to a problem like bottle necking and cause a ground loop in the car which will give you endless headaches if you plan on installing a stereo, just a little heads up =)

I have a similiar set up to yours, if youre interested it is in my project thread. I have a d31 optima blue top in my trunk for audio and pc.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:47 AM
HCF Member

yea ,ive been replacing them grounds as i find them.i still have some more wire running to do.i still havent done the alt.wire,its been raining,wah!!but its already made a major difference in sound quality and lights dimming.goes just a little louder,doesnt clip,and shut down from lack of power,and no dimming of the lights,even in the dark with headlamps on.