Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Dare I Paint It???

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Dare I Paint It???

flip down face. pretty decent for $150 bucks (after online sale discount).

Old 10-26-2006, 08:12 AM
HCF Member

Looks good, and $150 is a steal.

Old 10-26-2006, 08:18 AM
HCF Member

yesh it is, considering everything it can do.

i don't think i'll ever put a cd in it, simply because it can play either my iPod or USB drive.

i read a review online that another buyer also hooked up his USB portable hard drive!

that's crazy.

Old 10-26-2006, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

DAmn i hate flip faces... but with the ipod intagration i may not need cd's.. and the External drive idea is pure genious. just stick the drive in your glove box and run the wire behind the dash... then have a second cable when you need to transfer more music.. genious, pure genious... I LOVE IT!!!!

Old 10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

i haven't bought a CD since the 90s and used one in a few years.

once you go iPod, you never go back.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:32 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: kamlooper

What I would do is scuff it up lightly with a scotchbrite pad (multipurpose) then thouroughly wash in soap & water, rinse and let it completly dry. For painting Id spray with Krylon fusion. Id spray 3 light coats then let paint cure for 3 days. Then Id give it a clearcoat, the first coat being an extremly light coat followed by 3 light coats. Then let cure for 2-3 days before install.
no need to do all that, ive done it to mine, well not the one on my car right now but ive done it in the past, just lightly sand it with 1000 grti sandpaper and then wipe out the dust out, and spray away, krylon fusion should be dry in 15 minutes, then clear coat if you want, i didnt clear coated it, krylon fusion is designed for plastic and abs plastics

EDIT: hell i didnt know you have already done it, i didnt read the whole thread, but hey it looks good

Old 10-28-2006, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

you don't have to do anything with Krylon Fusion. it does recommend you wipe down the plastic part with paint thinner slightly, but it's not a requirement.

I sprayed my trim plate the first time without doing anything (except the thinner wipe down) and krylon worked as advertised.

but it was TOO glossy. so I sanded the trim plate down with 600 grit paper to give it a more matt, rough finish and sprayed it with satin fusion paint.

after a few coats, I then sprayed it to resemble a pebbled texture to match the other interior bits. I didn't use any gloss or finish it down with super grit paper or anything because I wanted a more weathered look.

Krylon Fusion is teh shizNat when it comes to painting plastic. Just don't get it on your hands. it's sticky as hell.