Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

distributor PROBLEM

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Default distributor PROBLEM

ive got at 1999 civic si (1.6 vtec ) B16 -manual transmission-

the distributor was converted from internal coil to external coil ... soo i have a msd pro cap to hook the coil wire to ...
i cant find a distributor to to fit the msd cap and bolt to the engine . the wiring harness has 2 round plugins ,, one with 5 wires and the other with 2

the body of the car is a 1988 civic 4 door ,, and the engine is a 1999 civic si VTEC

is it possible to bend valves by removing the timing belt when the car is NOT at TDC/
.. - dustin
please call 540-3150-and help me or PM me quickly .. my car has been broke for tooo long

Old 08-07-2007, 03:17 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: distributor PROBLEM

no matter what, if you remove the timing belt and spin the engine you will bend valves. as far as i know there is no place at all where the cam will sit and all the valves be closed. so, dont ever spin your engine with the timing belt off or not properly aligned

im not sure of your secont question, it sounds like you cant find a distributor that fits your engine and also your car. if thats what you mean then get a distributor that fits your engine and i am assuming your car is obd1 as that would be the most logical choice so you need an obd1 distributor, then get a cap for that one

Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

The timing belt snapped on my dad's '90 Geo Prizm when I was driving it. It's an interference engine so it ran the risk of having bent valves, but when a mechanic checked it out, they were all straight. I believe in that situation, the timing belt snapped with none of the valves in a fully open or closed position. So at least in that car, there are valve positions that allow for all of the pistons to go up and down without bending the valves. I'm not sure if the same applies to B series engines, though.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:40 AM
HCF Member

b16's have a lot higher compression than a geo. so that will put the valves a lot closer to the pistons. if you positioned the cams just right then im sure you could find a combination that would allow the engine to spin without harm, but i wouldnt recomend it.