Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ENGINE DEBATE

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: ENGINE DEBATE

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

alright this has been gone over many of times so try the search

but ill give you my opinion on the whole deal

i had a d series motor with v tech and was not happy with it, i found someone who would do the swap for cheap. i got the lsd tranny as well and it all came out to 3200 bucks i believe. this is with everything, the axels, edu, mounts, etc. i think this was def the best thing i could have done because i dont know how much longer my engine would have lasted. if i would have boosted the d series, i would have rebuilt my motor and sleeved it and then i would have boosted it. its just a preference, do you want dohc or sohc? do you want the turbo now or later?

dude,you did NOT just say v tech

Old 08-11-2006, 01:33 AM

do some better researching on those prices for d16y8 parts. i got the throttle body, intake mani, sensors, and fuel rail/injectors for under $150 in very good condition. and the head i can get for $196 with solenoid and every single gasket that you'd need too. i personally like my d and wouldn't plan on getting a b anytime soon. i'd just say build up the d and boost like many others. sure you have more room for expansion, but it will cost less to go the d route, especially if you just want to beat up a little competition. i wouldn't think there are any nascars racing you.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: smit3413

do some better researching on those prices for d16y8 parts. i got the throttle body, intake mani, sensors, and fuel rail/injectors for under $150 in very good condition. and the head i can get for $196 with solenoid and every single gasket that you'd need too. i personally like my d and wouldn't plan on getting a b anytime soon. i'd just say build up the d and boost like many others. sure you have more room for expansion, but it will cost less to go the d route, especially if you just want to beat up a little competition. i wouldn't think there are any nascars racing you.
haha naw no nascars. but mustangs and crap. what would u guys say the hp and tq and 1/4 times be with a y7-y8mini me with decent turbo setup?? my friend with a hatch got k20 swap and has 200 hp running 13's. would i be able to keep up with that?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 4doorturbo

mini me and boost. show that a single can beat dohc's.
not really. i know pete ran 14.8 or something in his 5G EX-T...and sacs ran 14.6-14.8 with his GSR swapped 5G DX. you can boost your D and hold 'em but once they get into bolt ons you wont see anything but tails.

Old 08-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Marty ran near 14 flat with his old sedan.. i would think with the right WR and a good turbo tune you should be able to break into the 13's if you can drive.. someone correct me if wrong ..

Old 08-14-2006, 03:59 PM
HCF Member

oh i agree...but with a B the breath of your mods is much bigger. how many sub-12 D's do you see? not many. how many sub-12 B's? a ton more than D's. really if you have any power goals more than 300-350hp and any significant amount of torque you want to go with a bigger engine.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:12 PM
formerly aryiman98civic

ORIGINAL: Forty04

ORIGINAL: aryiman98civic

alright this has been gone over many of times so try the search

but ill give you my opinion on the whole deal

i had a d series motor with v tech and was not happy with it, i found someone who would do the swap for cheap. i got the lsd tranny as well and it all came out to 3200 bucks i believe. this is with everything, the axels, edu, mounts, etc. i think this was def the best thing i could have done because i dont know how much longer my engine would have lasted. if i would have boosted the d series, i would have rebuilt my motor and sleeved it and then i would have boosted it. its just a preference, do you want dohc or sohc? do you want the turbo now or later?

dude,you did NOT just say v tech
haha forty i did say a d series v-tech

Old 08-14-2006, 06:46 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mentaldis0rder

Marty ran near 14 flat with his old sedan.. i would think with the right WR and a good turbo tune you should be able to break into the 13's if you can drive.. someone correct me if wrong ..
This is true I did run 14 falt in a full weight 98 sedan. I could have been in the 13's but I had some cheap *** $20 a peice econo tires and bad heat soak. A ef with say a boosted Z6 with stuff like ps, ac, spare tire/jack removed along with some lighter weight rims like some 15 inch rota's is a easy mid 13 second car and could fetch low 13's with a good driver.

It all boils down to what you want in the end, if you are going to be happy with a 13 second car which IMO is plenty for allmost everybody then it is cheaper and way smarter to stay with a D series as you can get those times with boost and a good tune along with good driving. When you start reaching for low 12's and high 11's and below IMO it is better to move on to a different platform.