Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine swaps

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Cam
HCF Member
Default Engine swaps

I know I know, its been covered many millions of times, so I'll be brief. Ish. I've had a fairly crazy year of car ownership, i've had an Impreza, an s14 200sx, and a celica GT4. Amazingly enough I'm now totally skint! The ****ing GT4 had a suspension collapse thingy which cost me near on £1000 to put right, so Im back to my first love, the civic! I've had my Ek's, and loved them, but I reckon this is my last chance to own a decent Eg before they rust off the face of Britain, so Im in the market for a really cheap one! Basicallt it'll be a 1.3 or a 1.5 version, hopefully with a solid shell, but I'll be looking to rip out the engine first chance I get, soooooooooooo!

1. I need either a high reving cheap engine (I've already had a b16 in my Ek, but I wouldn't be opposed to another I guess) or something I can make put out 220 bhp at the flywheel (so something I can get a cheap turbo kit for). What would you recommend?

2. All fellow miserable Brits, know any good garages that would know what they were doing with an engine swap?

Im sortof leaning towards the turbo idea simply because it'd be cheap to get started with. How much of the work can you do before installing the engine by the way? How long would the swap actually take? (time the car's off the road).

Finally, someone recommend me a good website with all this information on it. A step by step run through of it maybe, written for idiots if possible!

How brief was that then? Crazy brief. Crazy.

love you all!

Old 02-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Cam
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine swaps

No? Thats a shame.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:50 PM
HCF Member

you're in the UK?

then find a shop that will sell you a used b series or k series.

its obvious european hot hatches are way more desirable over in the UK than hondas so it'll be cheaper for you to buy a new engine.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Cam
HCF Member

Doesn't really work like that. Japan's the other side of the world, and the tuning scene isnt a patch on what I imagine it is in the states. Finding anything over here's a nightmare, its really easy to see why the majority of hatch owners put on an exhaust and leave it at that - you need money to do anything more ambitious...