Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Intake mainfold

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:07 PM
Default Intake mainfold

I have a 96 civic hatch and i'm thinking about purchasing a intake mainfold and installing it but i will also need a new throttle body due to the one that is stock points upwards, my question is how much more horsepower wud bean expected gain. and what is a good intake mainfold and throttle body. I'm a newb that needs direction so feel free tocriticise except the fact that i cant spell criticise

Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Intake mainfold

I think it'll be a waste of money unless you get more work done to the engine. The runners on the intake manifold's are longer on aftermarkets like edelbrock and skunk2. This helps for more power in the higher rpm's, but then you will loose some in the lower....

What do you mean by the stock throttlebody points upward? Getting a larger diameter throttle body wont do anything but loose power. The diameter has to line up with the intake manifold's diameter.

These are usually lasts steps people add to built or boosted engines looking for a little more horspower out of there setups. In which case would be greater after being built for it. Haveing the head (part of the engine where the air enters through the valves, combusted and exits), intake manifold, and throttlebody, ported, polished, and matched all together, Allowing air to flow through uninterupted by bumps and bends.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Xirish3x

my question is how much more horsepower wud bean expected gain. and what is a good intake mainfold and throttle body.
Manufacturers advertise anywhere from 5-15 horse gains, but it really all depends on your setup. Edelbrock, Skunk2, and Blox all have pretty basic manifolds that would work for you. They have medium sized plenums and longer runners, which works well with NA setups. You shouldnt need a new throttle body, yours should bolt up, but it will choke airflow a bit. However, if theres nothing else done to your engine thats fine, because your engine doesnt need any extra air. Also, you might not gain any power at all, your power curve might just move higher into the RPM range. This would slow you down if your engine didnt make peak power before the rev limiter.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Yeah you can buy one and it would bolt up fine, but spending $300 plus for an intake manifold for a couple hp and lossing power in the bottom end is it worth it?

Your throttle body is not choking air at all for your stock setup (I get now what your saying the y7's throttle body's point upward). Those smart honda engineers did everything to these d engines to squeeze out as much power as possible, thats why bolt ons don't make much gains at all out of them.

What you could do if your civic is an lx or dx is buy a d16y8 intake manifold, prolly get one for $100 max, they are made very well. Haveing medium size plenums and decent sized runners.

I just don't want ya to get burned spending big bucks for brand names that wont do a thing but make your engine bay look nice. Save up for an engine swap or turbo. Much better money to power ratio.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

if it were me, and i were only slightly modifying the motor, then just pick up a side entrance manifold from an 'ex' model or any d16y8 block. just use the mated stock throttle body as well. that mixed with an aftermarket intake will result in about 10 hp or so.

Old 06-04-2008, 11:07 AM
HCF Member

Werd, live_4it and ej6buddy both hit it right on. You wont gain enough to make it worth it. And if all you want is to have a horizontaly positioned TB just pick up a Y8 manifold.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the help guys