Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Rebuild or Swap???

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 AM
Default Rebuild or Swap???

I got some great advice here before and I'm hoping for more now.

I purchased a 95 Honda Civic DX, test drove it, and had it inspected (by an incompetent/dishonest mechanic). Purchased it and found out I have a massive oil consumption problem. The dealer gave me a small warranty with the car. One shop I talked to said I probably shouldn't bother with the warranty I'll get the engine all torn down, and they won't pay. The dishonest shop says "oh they'll pay", but I'm pretty concerned that he's just trying to make a buck not set things right like he says. So I'm fearful of trying to get my current engine warrantied and then being on the hook for the cost of a rebuild (which is far more than the swap). Has anyone ever dealt with Eagle Warranty ? Would you personally try to have it rebuilt under warranty or just give up and shell out the cash for a swap?

Everyone here points to engine swaps on Ebay. This looks like a good way to go, some decent warranties with some of the motors. And certainly cheaper than paying for a rebuild or a remanufactured engine. I do have a question about this option though, my normal shop (not the dishonest guy) doesn't do engine swaps or rebuilds, but a mechanic there offered to swap my motor at his house for 250. Which to me seems like a good deal since I can't do it myself (and if I could--no hoist--I probably wouldn't want to for fear of making a mistake being my first time out). I'd LOVE to switch to the VX motor from my DX motor and get 45 mpg instead of 35... I drive 25k a year and this swap would pay for the cost of the swap/engine eventually. But can it be done? Are they compatible? I'm afraid to have the engine shipped here and come to find out its not compatible. Am I better off just swapping the standard motor... and I see there are two possible 1.5 motors in the DX from the list, but how can I tell which one I have?

Thanks again for past help, and thanks in advance for any advice on these matters

Old 03-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Default RE: Rebuild or Swap???

It will fit, and 250 sounds like a good price. I would do it if I were in your shoes, and then part out the DX motor.

Where do you live? Someone on here might be able to help you with the swap too.

Old 03-30-2006, 06:01 PM

how complicated is it to do a swap? can a person with minimal knowledge read their way through it or something?

Old 03-30-2006, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

If it's the same type/generation motor, it's just unplug from one and plug back in on the other. Most people could do it if they gave themselves a chance and bothered to rent/buy the proper tools to do it, but $250 sounds Ok if you can get a good deal on the motor.

By the way, the Vx gets so much better gas milage mainly becasue it's a lot lighter than the Dx too.