General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:20 PM
Default Help

Need a little help please. I have a 1988 Civic DX 5spd hatchback that is my daily driver. I just spent $2000 to have the motor rebuilt to find out that the "Throttle Position Sensor" is going out. When the check engine light comes on, when I turn the ignition on sometimes the car will not start, or if it comes on while driving the car then drinks gas. I need some help because I do not want to pay the dealer $601.00 for a new throttle body, and I don't want to get rid of the car.

Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 PM
Default RE: Help

You could get a throttlebody for half that price at least. Do some searchin on Ebay.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

Not sure about honda's because i just got one not too long ago but the throttle position sensor is usually not part of the throttle body, its removable. Ive had to replace this several times on other cars and its usually a $30-50 part.

Old 09-01-2005, 09:56 PM

This should help you out. You can replace the throttle position sensor without replacing the throttle body.

The Throttle Position (TP) sensor is a potentiometer that provides a signal to the PCM that is directly proportional to the throttle plate position. The TP sensor is mounted on the side of the throttle body and is connected to the throttle plate shaft. The TP sensor monitors throttle plate movement and position, and transmits an appropriate electrical signal to the PCM. These signals are used by the PCM to adjust the air/fuel mixture, spark timing and if installed, EGR operation according to engine load at idle, part throttle, or full throttle. The TP sensor is not adjustable.
The TP sensor receives a 5 volt reference signal and a ground circuit from the PCM. A return signal circuit is connected to wiper that runs on a resistor internally on the sensor. The further the throttle is opened, the further the wiper moves along the resistor. At full throttle, the wiper essentially creates a loop between the reference signal and the signal return returning the full or nearly full 5 volt signal back to the PCM. At idle the signal return should be approximately 0.9 volts.
The PCM compares the TP sensor with the MAP sensor to determine if the system is functioning properly.

1. With the engine OFF and the ignition ON, check the voltage at the signal return circuit of the TP sensor by carefully backprobing the connector using a DVOM.
2. Voltage should be between 0.2 and 1.4 volts at idle.
3. Slowly move the throttle pulley to the Wide Open Throttle (WOT) position and watch the voltage on the DVOM. The voltage should slowly rise to slightly less than 4.8v at Wide Open Throttle (WOT).
4. If no voltage is present, check the wiring harness for supply voltage (5.0v) and ground (0.3v or less), by referring to your corresponding wiring guide. If supply voltage and ground are present, but no output voltage from TP, replace the TP sensor. If supply voltage and ground do not meet specifications, make necessary repairs to the harness or PCM.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Disconnect the wiring harness from the TP sensor.
3. Remove the two sensor mounting screws.
4. Pull the TP sensor off the throttle shaft.

To install:
5. Install the TP sensor onto the shaft.
6. Install and tighten the sensor mounting screws.
7. Connect the wiring harness to the sensor.
8. Connect the negative battery cable.

Old 09-01-2005, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

Nice.

Yeah, the TPS is a replaceable item. You don't have to scrap your whole throttle body. Unless you want to and get a bigger one in the process. Of course I don't think that they come with the sensors, do they?

Anyway, I was actually wondering about getting that thing off too, because mine has these, like rivets things that I could not/would not mess with in the middle of my SC install, but I have a 60mm TB just sitting in my shed waiting to go on if I could figure it out. Pics to follow.

Old 09-02-2005, 10:01 AM

SHopkins, make sure you let us know how you make out. (for future HFCers)

Old 09-03-2005, 03:02 AM

Well, I have the same problem Street Sniper has. My TPS is put on with "rivets" (for lack of a better word). There is no way to get it off unless I break the heads of the rivets. I have called around and can't find anyone selling just the TPS. I have done the Ebay thing and found someone selling one. But I know they had to break the rivets to get it off. Which makes me wonder if someone is trying run a scam. I guess what I need to know is can I get a throttle body of off a 1.6L motor and put it on or what? Worse part is I have a 2002 Harely Davidson F150 that I can't drive now because of the gas situation. Hence the reason I need my little civic!!!

Old 09-03-2005, 10:37 AM
mxs
HCF Member

Can you find the part here? http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Old 09-14-2005, 11:52 AM

[:@] Well, I am giving up on this throttle position sensor. I found a new throttle body with a TPS for $70. I have talked to several mechanics they all tell me you can't replace the TPS alone. So, what does that mean if you have a bigger throttle body and need to put the TPS on it? I have no d*mn idea! I would have thought working on my civic would have been easier than my truck.