General Civic Talk Talk about the Honda Civic generally here.

trying to figure something out need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:16 AM
Default trying to figure something out need help

okay i just got a 96 honda civic dx 4dr sedan automatic when i got it the gas pedal was really stiff i asked the guy he said he didn't know what it was so i took it home and did some research and it said to check the throttle the cable was loose so i tightened it up but that did a little something but it still a little stiff and it will stick some times to i have to sightly kick it to come loose any suggestions on that also what can i do to do to make it fast being that it's a automatic without converting it to manual i might consider on converting it sometime down the road but for now i want to work with what i have money don't grow on trees lol anyway all help is welcome thank you all

Old 05-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the intake box off, clean the throttle body and throttle plate. Black gunk accumulates on the sides of the body and makes it stick to the edge of the throttle plate, and then the pedal sticks at the idle position.

If it's not that, you may need to replace the cable. The cable is not very expensive.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:28 PM

you know something i think it just might be the cable well first i want to say this i took it to the mechanic today because i just couldn't figure it out so i took it there he was messing with it he got the cable to stop coming off the throttle/butterfly and he tightened it because it was loose but i can still see slack and the throttle doesn't even open all the way then i get a call from his wife saying to come pick the car up its a hazard that i should even be driving it because the gas pedal is bad so my friend came over and he has a 97 0r 98 honda civic sedan so we started to look at it and his is a manual but his throttle cable is nice and firm on the throttle/ butterfly so we think it is the cable plus when you push on the gas pedal i put my ear to the casing of the throttle
body cable and they'er is a noise when we did it to his nothing plus we check the casing of his and it was softer then my casing my casing was hard and it cracked in 2 places just want to get this car done so i can start looking for work plus i notice a performance issue lol my wife's min van has better pick up lmao

Old 05-08-2014, 06:53 AM

so i found a pedal assembly or should i just get the cable instead because i think its the cable because throttle doesn't open all the way when truned by hand its fine no issues with the throttlebody assembly any suggestions thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 03:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sounds like you just need a cable. Cracks in the casing are bad, that will let the casing collapse so then the center wire is "too long".

Old 05-09-2014, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

you can also clean and lube the gas pedal also try shooting some grease into the cable line while somebody pumps the pedal sometimes that helps a little. but if its that bad change the cable ASAP you don't want the accelerator getting stuck open while driving.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:34 PM

yeah already happened to scary stuff thanks

Old 05-10-2014, 05:00 PM

well i brought the cable but i and up buying 2 it was cheap so didn't mind but guess what its the metal ring around the rubber on the accelerator cable its to tight but got it taking care of so light i don't even feel it and the throttle opens all the way so a huge gain in performance on that but now the issue i have is the power steering its the rack and pinion leakes how big of a job is that and do i have to do a wheel alignment

Last edited by saint1118; 05-10-2014 at 05:26 PM.