HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

Addiction2bass's Repair and Upgrade Project Civic 96DX

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 12:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

you better not have.LOL
my max bid was 812.99bucks and i bid in the last like 30seconds i like to snipe bid like that to try and save some cash..... LOL

and well i fell into temptation alittle right now... i bought the front bumper cover, bumper foam piece, and both fenders. so only thing i need now is a new hood latch and MAYBE hood hinges. i might not need the hinges im not sure yet i think id be able to just bend them back if they are bent any. they seem tight enough to be fine.
and of course a new hood!

then today i found out i cannt find any new paint cans for my cars paint code
Vogue Silver Metallic Clearcoat NH-583M
ive looked at all local autoparts store and no one even has touch up paint let alone 5oz paint cans. so looks like im just gonna paint the radiator support silver the closest i could find for now. and i guess later on when i do finaly order brand new paint and a good paint gun ill just touch up the radiator support where needed.

hopefully my fenders will come undamaged and i can just bolt them up and run the car 2tone for awhile till i can buy the new paint and a paint gun.
also asked a cop today when i got off work and he said to his knowledge there is no indiana law that says i need anything more than a bumper front and rear. no fenders or hood needed. so HELL YA IM GONNA ROCK THIS SUCKER without them.LMFAO its gonna look bad driving around town.LOL

Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ok well just got done painting the support and impact bar. as close as i could find in paint. the silver isnt quite right of course so when i do get the paint for the whole car ill just tape off the top of the radiator support and take the headlights out to paint the top to match perfectly. other than that no one should be able to tell the shade is slightly off.

Name:  96DXpaint-4.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  137.9 KB

so tomorrow night ill drill the holes in the appropriate spots and weld the sucker in good, grind the weld spots down and touch in the paint around those points. i gotta buy more paint tho. and when i go back to pepboys im gonna complain my @ss off to them!!!!
all 3 cans of paint i bought from them ALL OF THEM DID NOT HAVE THE SPRAYERS!!!!
ya i was pissed when i poped the cap off to find no paint tips! luckely i save my old ones so i had some at least!
and i think when i get the fenders/bumper cover im just gonna primer them and use primer sealer. it wont look as bad as black front end on a silver car just a temp. i thought paint wouldnt cost so much but i did a quick quote at the paint store when i was buying the weldthru primer and they said like 250-300bucks for a gallon of paint, ruffly 100bucks for the clear coat, then the activators extra again. plus a paint gun. well looks like id be spending quite a bit of cash at once!
ive thought about cheaping out and changing the color but i think if i change it to much it would just be a pain to do all the jams and such. and i dont want it to look bad!

Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
HCF Member

just remember, you bought the car for 700, don't let the repairs become too overwhelming (i.e. new spray gun, paint, etc.) i'd just get a nice macco job if you do the body work.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

true... BUT the new paint gun will be used repeatly. plus macco paint jobs well are HIT OR MISS... all depends on the guy with the gun in his hands! im not a big fan of paint runs or clear coat runs or even overspray

paint gun will last typicaly at least 5 full paint jobs. at least the ones ive used in the past. and i do need a new one. old one is to clogged up to do any good!
i can cut alittle cost by only getting like 3quarts of paint and clear and such. but i do like having extra paint for any future problems or modifications. best part about the extra is having the perfect match for future work!

but either way its still cheaper than buying a good or already fixed civic

Old 07-31-2008, 06:34 PM

Dang, that's coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it done.

Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
HCF Member

yeah, i know, been there, done that, just as a reminder though.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

dang I've never heard of a gun needing to be replaced after just 5 jobs. My brother in law has been using the same gun for a lot more cars than that and hasn't had to get replacement yet.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

it's called maintenance, some people do it, some don't, that's why he could only use it for 5 times.

p.s. they have a built in text spell and grammar check utility (sweet)

Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 PM
HCF Member

I can't wait til its finished.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well the gun my dad bought like 10years ago was supposedly just a disposable gun. mainly because it has plastic internal parts. plastic container on top. plastic sprayer on the inside. its not as good as a full metal sprayer. also wasn't as expnsive. pretty much just a cheap gravity feed gun i tried to keep that gun clean but it doesn't take much to clog up one of those little holes to throw the spray pattern off and for it to be crap!

Quick Reply: Addiction2bass's Repair and Upgrade Project Civic 96DX