HCF Project Section This section is for extensive projects only. Please read the rules before posting.

JDM B16A turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 05:47 PM
HCF Member
Default JDM B16A turbo build

So I figured i would start a rather large project.

The goal is to turbo build a JDM B16A and put it in a 99 or 2000 civic coupe.
This will be a long project and I'm not sure how i'm going to do everything yet.

The list:

What i have:
B16A short block minus senors
B18A1 short block (transplant senors from)
OBD1 wire harness
B16A2 VTEC head
P28 ecu (non chipped)(soon to be)
CP 81.5mm boar @ 9.0 cpr
Eagle H rods
F1 stage 2 clutch
GSR dizzy
ITR cams
B16A2 brand new intake manifold for an SI
GSR oil pan
Oil tap lines for turbo

What i still need:
LS transmition (better for turbo)
trubo setup
Hondata S300
The car (LOL)
Fuel injectors (thinking about 550cc)
Fuel rail and system
axle shafts (500HP rated)
6th gen JDM front conversion
brembo brakes

List to change as time goes on... can't think of everything right now. pics to come soon!

Some of the background:
I work for a Honda dealership so getting all the little stupid parts will be easy. The engine block I got was a OBD0 type R B16A out of a CRX from 1989. This means its got oil squirters and a nice oil filter cooler built into the block! The block is at the machine shop right now to get a .5 mm over boar. The goal is to get about 350 to 400hp out of this build. any help would be great guys!

Old 05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
HCF Member

Nice plan you've got, I work for an Acura dealership lol, nice and easy to get parts or special tools and stuff lol.

For one thing I would get rid of that F1 clutch plan. Go with a better clutch, spend the money, last thing you want is to not be able to utilize all your power because your clutch slips. Clutchmasters makes good high hp clutches, otherwise the usual ACT or Exedy. Dump the itr cams and get some turbo cams, having the all motor cams of an itr won't help, defintely pick up a set of boost-oreiented cams and adjustable cam gears. Don't forget stuff like ARP head studs (which I'm sure you know of) and I recommend a Cometic hedadgasket to further bring down your compression.

Old 05-12-2011, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

Just sent the block to the machine shop. Getting the pistons fit and the crank polished. Then the shop guy is going to install the pistons, crank and rods. Should be all done in about 2 weeks is what they told me. Then I can start building up off the basic short block.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

Thanks Scott. Yeah i didn't want the f1 clutch but i got a great deal package with alot of stuff and that came with it. Figured i would wear it out in a few months so i could get my car drivable then upgrade to something better. ARP is a for sure on this build. For cams i was thinking about blowing some cash on brian crower turbo cams or skunk2 when i get the head all together.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:43 PM
HCF Member

good luck with your build! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

this sounds like a fun build! I was going to ask why you weren't using the b18, but then I read you were planning on boring the b16. so it makes sense now.

I hate to support other forums, and I dont know where you're located, BUT there always seems to be a few shells in good shape for sale on Honda Tech. Only problem is they always seem to be located in California.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:07 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I'm located in Central Iowa... so not too much Honda stuff up for sale here. A few things every once in a while in Des Moines. The reason I went with a B16 rather than a B18 is mostly by chance. Some high school kid was selling a type r short block dirt cheap. Plus b16 has a better stroke to rod ratio that allows for a safer higher rev limit. Another thing the over boar i'm putting into it is only .5mm. Nothing to get excited about. I wanted to keep cylinder walls as thick as possible so i have less of a chance of blowing it at higher boost levels.