Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Custom intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 10:42 AM
HCF Member
Default Custom intake

Has anyone ever put in there own steel CAI and had it be really loud and obnoxious? Or is it just me. It doesnt sound too loud on the videos i have watched but mine was so much that i had to go back to my short ram. Otherwise it sounded like a 4 inch exhaust

Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Custom intake

well a SRI should be louder than a CAI.... is it the same filter?

either way your still gonna head the intake.... i like the sound of my CAI over my other SRI...

Old 05-04-2008, 12:08 PM
HCF Member

yes it is the same filter and the cold air is alot louder. Its only a few inches more too. I was thinking maybe its the steel

Old 05-05-2008, 04:41 AM

I have an 08 Civic SI sedan and decided to make my own Short ram CAI, I reallyhad no choice considering that the engine compartment is the tightest I've ever seen on a car. My friend has the Fujita F5 andI really didn't see why I should spend over two hundred for a pipe and a filter. I put a lot of reseearch and thought into building it and i really didn't want it to look like it to look like it was a kindergarden project. Instead of medal piping I used CPVC conduit(2 1/2 inch) I followed the basic design of the F5 in terms of dimensions and shape. I used a K&N cone filter and it fit perfectly. The the peice of pipeI bought was already cut and bent(they selldifferent elbows and angled pieces) For those who don't know, CPVC is usually used for undergroundelectrical runs and is known for it's strength and heat resistance(much better then light metal). I kept the stock rubber bend that comes out of the air manifold and started from there. This way I didn't have to touch the vacuum lines. All I had to do is to is cut to size, make a hole to mount the MAF sensor and tap some holes for the 2 screws that hold it down. After some light sanding and a good paint job. The best part is that it actually looks and sounds really good.( I will post pics soon). I know it's sounds like it would be crappy looking but it really came out proffesional. My friend who has the 07, SI with the fujita thinks there is virtually no difference in look or performance. I agree. I have about 200 miles on it and no problems. After about 50 miles, the computer adjusted for the air increase andpower seems to have leveled off. I'm sure it's not adding tons of hp, but it sound really good and thottle responce seems to be better. When the vtech kicks in, it gets so loud. total cost: 35 bucks

Old 05-06-2008, 08:54 AM
HCF Member

Got it. Turns out it was about 4 inches too long. I shortened it up and it sounds absolutely perfect. It synchronizes with my exhaust. Amazing wat a couple of inches can do. Heads up to anyone planning on making their own CAI. It also keeps less water on the filter.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Rmpge15

Got it. Turns out it was about 4 inches too long. I shortened it up and it sounds absolutely perfect. It synchronizes with my exhaust. Amazing wat a couple of inches can do. Heads up to anyone planning on making their own CAI. It also keeps less water on the filter.
Yea... you don't want water on or near that filter.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:16 AM

See pics of it

Old 05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
HCF Member

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]