Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

how do I change my CAI filter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:47 PM
HCF Member
Default how do I change my CAI filter??

I have an AEM CAI. I didn't install it and it has been almost a year since I bought the civic from another guy. He didn't tell me when the last time he changed the filter and I didn't think to ask. The pipe goes down right in front of the wheel, except there is this plastic shielding in front of the wheel. I can pull at it a bit and see the CAI filter, but I don't know how to get the shielding off. Does this plastic barrier go all the way under the car and over to the other side in front of the left wheel as well??

If someone can answer that, I also need to know how the filter comes off. I know how to clean it.

Please help.

Thanks.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:26 PM
Default RE: how do I change my CAI filter??

you can do one of two things... take the bumper off(which is easier) or take the wheel off and then remove the wheel well. but just pop off all the snaps holding your bumper on(make a digram of which snaps came from where to make it easier) then there are a few screws underneth and a screw in each wheel well holding the bumper on, unsrew those and the bumper should just pull off, then the cai filter is exposed. clean or replace as needed

Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM
HCF Member

It sounds like you have the V2. I didn't want to have to pull the bumper or wheel well shield every time the filter needed cleaning so I cut a section out of the plastic piece. Now I can easily see when the filter is getting dirty. Fortunately, there isn't much rain or mud here in San Diego, so the filter shouldn't get too dirty in a hurry. Either way, it would be really handy to have an extra filter so that you don't have to leave the car up on jack stands while the filter dries. Just pop in the fresh one and take your time cleaning the dirty one.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
HCF Member

lol, that thing should be changed like the oil in your motor. If its been a year since being changed or cleaned then you are in for a huge gain in power and fuel efficiency

Remove the cone filter, and clean it with a recharge kit. K&N sells one for about $15 at any auto parts store.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:48 PM
HCF Member

If it's like mine, it is a dry filter - no oiling required. I'm getting the AEM cleaning kit, soon. The AEM method involved filling a bucket with the cleaner solution & water. You dunk the filter in and rotate it, rinse, repeat, rinse, repeat. The exact procedure will be included with the kit.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
HCF Member

god how i love cleaning all the parts in my engine bay and putting it back