Header, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

need some help. big time

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 03:51 PM
Default need some help. big time

well i had to cut the bolts to put my cat back on. turns out the bolts were rusted on the inside also. i cant get them out. what do ido?

Old 10-17-2005, 04:08 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: need some help. big time

you could try drilling them out very carfully using a smaller size drill bit than the bolts.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM
HCF Member

you could drill new holes.

Old 10-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Which bolts? The ones holding the cat-back to the cat, or the cat to the manifold?

Old 10-17-2005, 04:37 PM
HCF Member

oh sorry...i read that wrong...ignore what i said

Old 10-17-2005, 10:25 PM
HCF Member

Is there anything left to grab? or they cut right down so they're flush now?

I would recommend trying to grab onto em with like vise grips or something and spray em with a bunch of penetrating oil and carefully trying to work em out. My experience drilling out bolts hasn't ever ended up too successful, they are hardend steel and forged in a way that makes the centres hard to drill out. It may be easier if you can heat em up with a torch or although if you're working in the bay you gotta be careful. If you are going to drill em' I would suggest going out and buying the best bit you can find for that purpose and start in small increments working your way up. They also make left drilling bits and extractors of sorts to help out...

Oohh.. I found a good page on extraction. Hope this helps...
tech to tech

I like the sound of this if you had the tools...
"Tap extraction is the process of electrically disintegrating a broken tap, drill, bolt, screw or pin. An alloy tube of various sizes is lowered drill-press style onto the broken component. An electrical current then disintegrates the broken component until it crumbles and can be chipped out, leaving the threads/hole undamaged."

also

"When you finish repairing a hole, make sure you use anti-seize on the new studs or bolts before you install them, so you (or the next tech) won't have to go through this the next time. On exhaust parts, use brass or stainless steel nuts and lock washers, so they don't corrode in place."

Old 10-18-2005, 10:15 AM

well im going to take it to my friends, dads shop... he looked at it and said honda didnot mean for this to be tampered with. i thought it was rusted but the bolts were actually welded... i later realized this after cuting 2 of them. but this thursday im going to take it over there. he said he can get them out... ill have a full product review for a skunk 2 catback for 7th gen civics soon!