The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Anyone know Director MX 2004?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2006, 12:44 AM
Default RE: Anyone know Director MX 2004?

Well, you didn't have dual 2.8 X2's, because they weren't out then. You were probably using Opterons or something, which have definitely been known to have compatability issues with a number of mobos. But like you said, it's a dual-core world now... once you get the best, you never go back.

Forget the ATI cards? You can run dual Fire GL cards in parallel...which actually don't bench very far below the Wildcats individually, and are cheaper. Throw all the video memory you want into a card, but dual RAMDACS can still slap it around. To my knowledge, nVidia SLI setups are the only other true dual-card config on the market... I could be wrong.

"Average Lifespan" doesn't really mean jack at the rate technology is progressing. And I'm not sure where you get your figures, but I've never seen a decent PC die after less than 6 years. My family's first computer was an early-generation 300 MHz eMachines with 32 megs of RAM, a 3.2 GB HD, and 4 MB of VRAM. We got it in '95, and it's still running as a donor given to the thrift store. And those are the very same computers everyone loves to crap on for their lack of quality... irony is sickening.

Who's REALLY getting dual cores first? Well, considering Opterons have been around for the better part of a decade, I think Apple came late to that party... AMD is always ahead of both Intel and Apple in terms of innovations (first consumer 64 and 32/64 bit CPU, first dual core CPU, first dual CPU config, fastest FSB, first [insert technology here]). People love to compare Macs to Intels, but they always seem to overlook AMD, though they are in fact the better company, constantly copycatted by the other two. 95% of "all those horrible PC* problems" that arise these days can be attributed to the user and how they choose to configure and run the system and OS (and roughly 3/4 of the time it's a Mac user who has very little knowledge of a truly non-idiot-proof system). The technology works. The people don't

And my figures on that system I listed before were wrong. It can actually address 32 GB of RAM... 16 per CPU.

Love Subarus. Still hate Macs...

*[The term PC is used loosely, as Macs are PCs too]