Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

1.6i, changed timingbelt, no spark or fuel now

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 12:16 PM
Default 1.6i, changed timingbelt, no spark or fuel now

Hi

I have gotten a major problem with my civic now, its a 1.6i, 1988. The car was running fine until i decided to change the timingbelt, i took it off and put the new one back one, and put the engine on the timingmarks, and everything seems fine. The strange thing is, now i dont get the car started, i have neither spark and i can not hear the fuelpump running when i turn the key.

I havent touched anything cept for doing the timingbelt, and disconnected the battery, what can have happened to make the fuelpump not running, and at the same time i get no sparks either?

anyone have any good advice on what might have happened here?

can there be a fuse, a relay or simply something that gotten unplugged?

Thanks in advance for all ur help

Old 08-17-2007, 03:22 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: 1.6i, changed timingbelt, no spark or fuel now

Get in the car, put in the key, and turn it to the ON (not run) position. Does the CEL come on for a second, then click off?

If not, replace your main relay. those old hondas are infamous for eating main relays.

If it DOES come on then click off (and you can hear your fuel pump priming) you've got other issues.

Old 08-17-2007, 06:41 AM

Hi

thanks a lot for ur answers.

The cel light was acting a bit strange at first, it kept flashing a few times, then it went off, but after i tried turning the key some more, the light dont flash, it comes on, but i cant hear the fuel pump running, and if i try to start the engine, the cel light comes back on a little, like its glowing if u know what i mean.

will the main relay cause it to not have spark also? or is it just the fuelpump?

wich one is the main relay, is it the grey/beige under the dash, or is it the smaller black one?

Thanks again for ur help

Old 08-17-2007, 07:32 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the ground wires, especially the little ones on the back of the engine (thermostat housing). I don't think it's the main relay nor would it have anything to do with your timing belt change, it's just bad luck. Light coming on halfway like that suggests a power or ground problem.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:12 PM

Hi

Wow, thanks a lot for ur help, ur answer couldnt be anymore perfect than this. Of course i had taken off the termostathousing, and not put it back on yet.

When i put the housing back on, the car started on first try.

You just saved me for hours and hours of endless trying and failing, it never occoured to me that it was a ground wire located there.

Thanks a whole lot again, you just saved my day (or weeks)