Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2010 civic 1.8 ex no start + flashing dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 04:23 PM
Default 2010 civic 1.8 ex no start + flashing dash

Hey guys,

My girlfriend has a 2010 Civic 1.8L EX unfortunately, she has not done a great job maintaining the car. The car does have around 120k miles on it for a frame of reference. Out of no where when leaving her job the car would not start and run,. The car cranks over perfectly and will run for a second then immediately dies. The other weird thing is this is not every time I would say it is more often then not maybe 7 out of 10 starts it will do this but the other 3 times it starts up with out any issues. The other issue is on some occasions when in the on position or trying to start it the cars dashboard lights go on and off like crazy and makes a clicking noise. Also if the car does start when I put it in reverse it dies, when I start in Neutral and put in drive it is fine.

My first thought was maybe a bad battery or alternator...I checked the battery with the car off and its consistently hitting around 12.7V when turning the car on its around 14.7V. So I do not think it is either the battery or alternator.

To rule out regular maintenance I cleaned the battery terminals, checked the ground from battery to chassis, checked ground from engine to chassis both seemed fine. I also replaced all spark plugs & coil packs. I replaced air intake filter & cleaned maf + throttle body. I also changed the oil and ran a fuel cleaner. Lastly I checked every single fuse inside the car and inside the engine bay none of them showed any sign of being burnt out in the center. I didn't think these things would fix it but I wanted to rule it out.

Anyone have any other ideas? I am totally out of ideas, my one friend suggested ignition switch but I don't see how this explains the light show.