Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'88 LX Civic (New Guy, read for more info)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:25 PM

Well today i nailed my lil honda to get on down the road and i looked up and saw smoke pouring out of the back... If this keeps on I'm gonna get a ticket :/ I'm looking for a donor car now. I'm gonna check the junk yards after school 2moro for a 1.5 or 1.6 D-series motor. Should i take the entire wiring harness?

And in really short MoPar is anything owned by the Chrysler Corperation. Thats really loose explanation tho.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:40 PM
HCF Member

It isn't worth getting the whole harness I hear.
If they include it in the initial cost of the motor, get it, or if it is pretty cheap.
Basically, look at any civic 88-00.
You can just re-use your intake manifold if you don't want to do the MPFI swap.
You should be able to use it with a newer motor.
To simplify things though, look for a motor with the spark plugs towards the front.
If you come across a DOHC motor with the plugs in the middle... that would be a fun swap, came in the mid class 92-95's I believe, if anyone wants to clarify.

Hah, interesting about MoPar. I should talk to my uncle about it a bit. Maybe he has a build somewhere...

Old 11-13-2010, 08:40 AM

Very cool. I'd love to get my hands on a DOHC motor! My buddy's '98 "R/T" Neon (i put R/T in lil quotes because it is just a trim package) has a 2.0 DOHC motor. I was screwing with him in my '89 Cougar, and... my Cougar got burned. That lil car is quick. But i wouldn't get that kind of power outta mine if i left my DPFI on it :/ hm... For the moment being i'm gonna look at the junk yards for a bolt in motor to drive daily.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
HCF Member

The SOHC ZC motor is a D16A6 with .5 more compression and alittle more agressive cam, to run the A6 you will need to go MPFI the later versions 89-91 for the CRX and civics had 108 hp and 98 ft/lbs torque factory rated its a simple swap with the ECU and the engine harness makes it plug and play as far as the 88's they had 105 hp factory rating. Side note on the Neon R/Ts its not just a trim package if its the full version it was suspension and also had 150 hp and about 140 ft/lbs while the sport only had 132 hp and both were DOHC 2.0L engines the trans on the R/Ts also had a diff gear ratio and they only came in 5 speed trans, the diff in the hp was the mapping I do believe but I got rid of my 99 R/T bc it became a money pit that I didnt want to deal with. Also with the motor swap the newwer the engine the new the emissions so if you want to stick with the earlier emissions requirements then I would stick with and earlier engine.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 PM
HCF Member

its a pretty straightforward swap yes. However, other than what was stated above with the hydraulic clutch assembly, and multi-point fuel injection conversion you will also want to keep your transmission so you don't have to get new axles, shift linkage, or any of that. If you want shorter gear ratios, junk yard an "si" transmission from the 88-91 civic (as these are cable transmissions.) Also you will probably want to keep your driver side mount bracket and transfer it to the new d15 engine. Sorry for repeating what anyone else already touched on. if I forgot anything or have some incorrect knowledge don't hesitate to correct me.

Old 11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Putting a newer engine into an old car is generally legal even in California. The smog standard that it must meet is always based on the year of the car. For that reason it is not legal to put in an engine that is a type older than the car, because that is likely to increase smog beyond what was specified for the year of the car.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

The Si transmission is great for acceleration, but if you travel on the highway a lot... be prepared to see constant 3.5k-4k rpm. I am sticking with the DX transmission personally.

Don't swap a whole wiring harness from the mpfi to dpfi, it is more work than it is worth. Converting to MPFI is simple, I'm gonna keep pushing it until you do it. You're swapping the motor anyways, might as well do the wiring with the motor out. You seriously only have to add 4 wires, and extend 3. The rest is just moving wires around, it's a pretty cool concept. It'll definitely make your little car nice and quick!