Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

91 civic cranks but no spark (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 08:27 PM
Default 91 civic cranks but no spark (newbie)

hey, i got a 91 civic been driving it for about 3 months now, and it's been goin good, well burns about 2 litres of oil per tank(550kms), but that's not my main concern, i drove it to work and back and parked it for the night, then in the morning it cranked but it wasn't getting any spark, and suggestions, my spark plugs are pretty old, but i don't see them quitting in just a night, but i'll replace them anyway. Any advice would help huge! it's my only car at the moment!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Default RE: 91 civic cranks but no spark (newbie)

could be a main reley. i am sure there are topics about it discussed. do a search to find out more.

Old 12-12-2006, 08:50 AM
Default RE: 91 civic cranks but no spark (newbie)

ORIGINAL: Kayne

hey, i got a 91 civic been driving it for about 3 months now, and it's been goin good, well burns about 2 litres of oil per tank(550kms), but that's not my main concern, i drove it to work and back and parked it for the night, then in the morning it cranked but it wasn't getting any spark, and suggestions, my spark plugs are pretty old, but i don't see them quitting in just a night, but i'll replace them anyway. Any advice would help huge! it's my only car at the moment!!!
if you're burning 2 litres of oil for every gas tank, you've got more issues than not getting spark... more like a major seal leak or your piston rings are fried, or your car is totally screwed... more to the point, you're polluting the air constantly...

if you've been dumping oil into the cylinders while running, eventually all sorts of things will get messed up, like valves, spark plugs etc

your car shouldn't burn more than a litre between every oil change... let alone every gas tank

edit: just did some math, you're replacing the oil over 4 times during the duration of 3000 miles...[]