Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Bad Clutch or Synchros?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Default Bad Clutch or Synchros?

My car is grinding into 3rd and 4th gear pretty badly...it started when i messed around with some wide open throttle shifting while racing and just doing some stupid burnouts. (i know i know you can scold me for doing this on the stock clutch, lol)...my dad's friend thinks its the clutch...what do you all think?

Old 06-17-2006, 06:10 PM
Default RE: Bad Clutch or Synchros?

its really hard to say, does the clutch slip at all? usually 2nd gear synchros go first. the only way to really know is to get under your car. you can try to change your tranny fluid with honda genuine,or 10w30 oil (thats all manual trans fluid is). i found that if you go buy the cheapest oil you can, put it in and drive it for an hour or so, then drain it and put a nice oil or synthetic oil into it and it should be good. its a real cheap way to maybe fix a problem.

Old 06-17-2006, 06:20 PM

alright. ill hafta give that a shot. i wont know for a little bit though because my radiator blew 2 days ago so im waiting for a new one i ordered. i ripped the old one out today so i have everything ready once the new one gets here. thanks for the tip! anyone else have any ideas?

Old 06-17-2006, 07:27 PM

Don't put plain motor oil in your Honda manual transmission. You can temporarily, but it will affect shift quality, and your synchros will certainly wear out faster. I can tell you this from experience. Honda genuine fluid has special friction modifiers to aid synchro engagement. The service manuals that are written by Honda engineers are very specific that motor oil should not be used. I'm sorry, but if you think about it, the engineers at Honda probably know a little more about this than any of us do. Of course, it's your car and not mine.

As for your synchros, it takes time for them to wear out. When they do, 1st and 2nd are the first to go. If shift quality never suffered before, and just started to now, I wouldn't think the synchros are at fault, unless you were doing something crazy. Is it difficult to shift between any other gears? How about from neutral to first?

Old 06-17-2006, 09:20 PM
HCF Member

ya my second gear grinds sometimes, not really grind but you can hear a crunch a little when you put it in, im planning to get new tranny fluid soon, synthic mabey and see if it helps...its really bad when the weather is cold in winter

Old 06-17-2006, 11:13 PM
HCF Member

If your trans grinds in every gear than maybe your clutch is bad if your trans grinds in only one or two gears, than most likely its going to be a synchro. Your clutch is used in every gear and every time you shift so if the clutch was bad then the problem would be repeated at every shift.

Old 06-18-2006, 03:17 PM

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

If your trans grinds in every gear than maybe your clutch is bad if your trans grinds in only one or two gears, than most likely its going to be a synchro. Your clutch is used in every gear and every time you shift so if the clutch was bad then the problem would be repeated at every shift.
thats why i figured its probably not the clutch. it only grinds into 3rd and 4th. sometimes its hard to put it into first from neutral. but if i give it a little bit of gas and ease the clutch out, it goes right in...someone just mentioned that...what would cause that?

Old 06-18-2006, 04:07 PM
HCF Member

The grinding in 3rd and 4th might be synchros on thier way out.

Old 06-18-2006, 06:27 PM

how much does it cost to fix generally? i know that i might as well get the whole tranny overhauled while its down but i dunno....im not made of money..