Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

car dies at idle???? only when warm...please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Default RE: car dies at idle???? only when warm...please help

the engine and ecu are out of a dx (1.5l 16 valve),the wiring harness is from a cx
(1.5l 8 valve) the cx runs a 1 wire o2 sensor the dx runs a 4 wire o2 sensor
when i did the swap i left the old wiring harness every thing was exactly the same but the o2 sensor . i did get a universal o2 sensor and just hooked it up to the stock plug. the part store didnt offer an exact replacment part

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

It's not clear to me what type of universal O2 sensor you used and how it is wired to your ECU. To do the job correctly, you probably should rewire the O2 sensor circuit to accommodate the four wire O2 sensor. If your O2 sensor isn't functioning properly with the ECU, you are unlikely getting optimal gas mileage or performance from your engine.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

What code(s) do you get? It sounds like more than just the O2 sensor. Maybe it's one of those cases where you have to wire the TPS backwards because the throttle body turns it the other way. I don't know about the 8-valve engine if the intake is different. You are using the intake, TB, injectors, etc. from the 16 valve, right?

You will need a 4 wire O2 sensor with that ECU. It expects the heater circuit to be there.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:06 AM

I DIDNT HAVE A CHANCE TO CHECK THE CODES LAST NIGHT OR THE THROTLE BUT YES EVERYTHING IS OUT OF THE DX THE INTAKES WERE THE SAME EXEPT THE CX WAS JUST SMALLER AND HAD WAY SMALLER PORTS. AND THE THERE WAS A SENSOR THAT HAD A BRAKET ON THE INTAKE BUT ON THE DX IT WAS ON THE FIREWALL NEXT TO THE FUEL FILTER. SO I JUST MOVED IT TO THE FIREWALL CUZ THE DX INTAKE DIDNT HAVE A MOUNTING LOCATION FOR THE BRACKET. HOW WOULD I HOOK UP THE FOUR WIRE O2 SENSOR ANYBODY GOT A DIAGRAM. CUZ SWAPPING THE WHOLE HARNESS AT THIS POINT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE. NOT SO BAD A WEEK AGO WHEN THE ENGINE WAS IN PEICES. BUT I JUST GOT IT BACK TOGETHER.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:19 AM

OH YEAH THE O2 SENSOR I SIMPLY CUT THE TOP HALF OF THE WIRE COMING OFF THE O2 SENSOR ON THE STOCK EXHAUST MANIFOLD ON THE CX, THE CAT IS INBETWEEN THE RADIATOR AND THE ENGINE. LOOKS LIKE A STOCK TURBO MANIFOLD. BUT ANYWAY I HAVE DC SPORT HEADERS WITH THE O2 SENSOR BUNG LIKE THE DX BEHIND THE MOTOR- UNDER THE CAR. I STRIPPED BOTH THE STOCK O2 SENSOR CLIP WIRE AND THE UNIV. O2 SENSOR WIRE. USED A WIRE CONNECTOR(THE KIND U CRIMP WITH THE ELECTRIC PLIER THINGS)TO CONNECT THE TWO. SCREWED IN THE O2 SENSOR AND JUST PLUGED THE CLIP INTO THE HARNESS AND CALLED IT DONE.

Old 02-01-2008, 04:43 AM

OH AND DOES EVERYBODY THING THAT THIS IS A THROTLE PROBLEM CUZ THE O2 SENSOR ISNT GOING TO BE THE MAIN PROBLEM. I KNOW IT WILL GIVE ME CRAPPY GAS MILLAGE AND WONT PREFORM THE BEST BUT I DONT THINK THAT WOULD BE THE CAUSE FOR LOW IDLE AND IT DIEING OUT. I HAVE HEADERS 4-1 TO A 2.5 IN EXHAUST TO A STRAIT FLOW THROUGH CAN, NO CAT OR ANYTHING. AT THE LIGHT I DONT HEAR THE CAR IDLEING. SO I FIGURE IT MUST BE PRETTY LOW. I CAN BARLEY HEAR THE RADIO WHEN ITS COLD AT HIGH IDLE BUT ONCE IT WARMS UP I HEAR NOTHING FROM THE EXHAUST.