Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car running very rich

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 08:22 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Quit with the replacenick stuff. The IAT and ECT sensors can be tested with an ohmmeter. Look in the service manual for specifications.

I think the fundamental issue is you have a chipped tuneable ECU, and it is mistuned. Or maybe the F/A gauge should not be trusted. If you ignore that gauge (like the rest of us that don't have one in the first place), would you say the car is running OK?
Running ok? I guess
I can tell it's running extremely rich due to my exhaust smelling like gas, my fuel consumption gone to hell, and when I pull the sparkplugs which are brand new they smell like gas and look as if the cars running very rich. Just doesn't feel safe to drive like this, I can tell soem sort of difference in performance.

I know the ECT isn't the problem because I had switched it with a brand new one so it's not worth testing, and the IACV wouldn't make the car run this drastically rich.

I should just get it re-tuned I guess, I just don't know if my tuner is open during the winter, hope so. It's just very weird because he tuned it this summer and everything was great, then one day this winter it just happened to start running rich as ****.

Edit: My tuner is closed for the winter. Now looking for a local tuner.

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 01-03-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:32 PM
HCF Member

Unplugging the IACV on the warm engine dropped the rpm's a few hundred.
I can still here air pissing out or being sucked in on the right side of the FPR, no idea where from.
I opened my ECU today to make sure the chip was still in place which it was. Checked for 5V between the ground and source wire for the MAP sensor and that was all good. Dropped the car off at my mechanic hopefully he can fix it

EDIT:Got a hold of my tuner whose willing to try and fix the tune for me.
He was wondering about my fuel pressure, so I'm going to get a gauge to install. I found out that B&M sells a gauge with an adaptor to fit directly above the fuel filter. The car runs extremely rich even at idle so this should be sufficient for diagnosing if this is the problem.[/B]

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 01-05-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

Fuel pressure gauge got hooked up today. Spec is supposed to be 39psi dropping to about 32psi.
Mines 60psi and dropping to 55psi at the lowest. I've already tried another used fuel pressure regulator, but I just grabbed another 3 just in case (not really down to pay Honda 180 bucks for a new one when I don't think this is the problem). The vacuum line is also 100% free of anything plugging it.
Could my pump have gone faulty?

Old 01-05-2011, 12:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Do you have an aftermarket fuel pump? If not, check whether the fuel return line is clogged.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
HCF Member

Yes, it's a Walbro 255. But it's description said it uses stock fuel pressure or around 40psi unless you get the high pressure version, which I don't have.

I installed this pump in my car when I had a stock motor before I did my swap, and it ran completely the same as stock.

Car was tuned with this pump, and I've never had an adjustable fuel regulator installed. I'll make sure the return line is good.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Take the gas cap off and try to blow air through the return line. The fuel pressure regulator works by releasing excess fuel back into the tank through the return line. If that line is clogged, pressure will rise up to the limit of the fuel pump.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

With the vacuum line connected it has 53psi, disconnected about 60psi. It isn't the fuel pressure regulator because we tried four different ones. It's also not the return line because he tried running just a straight piece of hose from the regulator into a bucket and it's doing the same thing.
He is saying that the only thing it could really be is the fuel pump is pumping more fuel than the regulator can bypass. He is suggesting I put in a stock pump or I could replace the Walbro. Should I try a new pump? I'm picking my car up tomorrow morning so I'll have time to do the install. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

EDIT: I visited Mopac today and bought a B&M fuel pressure gauge and installed it. Went and got a used stock fuel pump and installed it. Now my fuel pressure is down to 40psi which is normal. Walbro's website says this is an OE spec replacement and they offer a hi-pressure pump as well, but mine was not high pressure so it should be the same as stock ~40psi, mine must have gone faulty it was pushing 55psi. I'm going to have to get a new Walbro for spring when I wanna push some boost I guess.

Anyways, the problem isn't entirely fixed. The car runs a lot better now, I can actually drive it and it feels pretty normal. Only problem being that it's still running too rich. The idle went from 10.0:1 (air/fuel) to closer to 11:1. An improvement but still way to rich. Partial throttle air to fuel ratios also leaned out a bit, it's now driving around 12:1's instead of 10 and 11:1.

I'm thinking either my tune needs tweaking, or I ****ed the o2 sensor running it so rich with the high fuel pressure. Should I drop the cash and replace the Bosche wideband sensor before trying to get it tuned again?

EDIT: New wideband o2 sensor didn't fix the problem.
Is there anything else left I can test? Any other ideas on what could cause this?

Last edited by bcrichguitars; 01-14-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

I managed to lean it out by installing a fuel pressure regulator. It's still pretty rich at idle, but the part throttle is much leaner ive seen it driving in the 13's and 14:1's for the first time in two months. I had to turn the pressure all the way down to 25psi! I know it's probably not good to drive it like this in case I hit the throttle too much I'm worried it could go too lean.

If I was able to lean it out like this, would getting it tuned be able to fix it at a normal fuel pressure? My tuner has been busy all week I guess and hasn't had time to do anything yet. What do you think?