Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Does a Civic burning oil mean it's a time bomb?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 06:23 AM
Cool Does a Civic burning oil mean it's a time bomb?

Hello. I have a 2001 Honda Civic, 4 dr. It supposedly had one owner before me. I bought it with 127k miles and it now has 183k. It's been burning some oil for slightly under a year. I got my timing belt and all the recommended service that was supposed to be done at 105 bc I didn't know if it had been done before I bought it. The timing belt then effed up and the place fixed it and said the wrong size belt was put on and it slipped off.

Ever since then I've had oil issues. First it was just burning with some blue smoke coming out the back, then leaking. I've gotten the leak fixed and have been told it's burning it through the piston rings. I have to add 1-2 quarts a month, and much less in the winter. I've only had the oil light come on once when it was really low(right when the oil issues started) and now I check it religiously, probably a few times a week. I drive about 15,000 miles a year. I'm wondering, should I spend the money, $1200-1800 to get the oil issue fixed or should hold out and continue to watch the oil level. I'm just not sure how serious it is and how long it could possibly run with this issue.

Also, my car is in great shape other than this which is why i'd love to keep it, even though selling it is an option if it is a death date in the near future. The body, interior and exterior look great. I've been told my catalytic converter might be going bad but I'm not having any driving issues with it other than it being a bit sluggish.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:53 AM

It's likely just a sign of a worn engine. Before writing it off, I would add a can of this stuff called "restore" to the oil at your next oil change (or now, if the oil change was recent). Drive the car for about 200 or so miles and then monitor the engine for oil level and smoke. Add oil as needed. "Restore" has a compound that fills in any scoring on the cylinder walls, which creates a better seal. This may help the oil burning problem. (And at $8/can, much cheaper to add it as a regular maintenance item than $1200+.)

It's something you would have to add at every oil change.

Using this oil treatment could potentially improve compression, which would add power and increase MPG.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Thanks. I have tried something called seafoam, I'm not sure if that has a smiliar effect. with the seafoam I was told to put it in my oil just a couple hundred miles before my oil change. I will definitely look into the "restore"! I was also really wondering if it's common for a civic to still run for awhile after it starts burning oil.... I need my car to last about 2 years until i graduate and I'm not sure if that's a realistic expectation.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:05 PM

Seafoam removes carbon and sludge buildup. Restore adds buildup in a good way.

My old engine started smoking bad on startup and was at the point where I had to add a quart a week. It kept on going as long as I added oil. I drove it like that for over a year.