Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fixed timing belt... but not running right... please read

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 AM
Angry fixed timing belt... but not running right... please read

Here we go:

My car was fine. I brought it to my mechanic to get the timing belt changed.
My mechanic is my brother. So i watched the whole thing. He finally got everything back toghether after changing the belt. He started the car and it sounded.... messed up. Kind of like it was struggling to keep going. He looked around and realized that he forgot to tighten a bolt. (I AM NOT A MECHANIC) He tightened it and restarted the car. This is where this list of problems started.

It was still struggling to keep on. Kind of like it was running out of gas or something. The green key light lit up and has not gone away ever since.
We tried to attach a OBDII to erase the error message from the ECU but the OBDII gives a message saying "can not connect".

Now every time i start the engin after sitting, the first time usually kills the engine. Then i start it again and it runs fine. Yet the green key light still blinks.

Yes i am using my real key and not a copy, i have a copy and tried it too it did start but didnt get rid of the green light.

Also when i drive, the temperature guage doesnt work, the rpms doesnt work, and the engine light is on and the green key light is blinking.

On top of this, my car being standered, i start in first gear and can not accellerate past 20km, then second cant go faster then 40km, then third cant pass 60km, then fourth cant pass 70km and fifth cant pass 110km.

I have checked to find any wires that havent been placed back. I have used 4 OBDII units and they all cant connect, i have checked all fuses in the car and under the hood. i have also left the battery off for an hour which reset everything but the error.

My brother said to go to honda and get the key re-registered or something and then i would be able to get rid of the green light and then erase the error in the ecu.

is this correct? is there anything I can do without going to honda and not drive a .. messed up car.

Also I am not sure if this relates to this problem but I had trouble with my passenger door look when I pressed the lock button on the key chain. It would not lock, so we ordered a part for the doors and changed those but both doors locks and windows work fine.

Old 07-15-2010, 06:56 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Try disconnecting the battery with the key off to reset the computers (if you have a stock radio, be sure you know the security code). If the speedometer doesn't work either, could be a blown fuse.

Also it sounds like the timing gears are not properly in time (timing belt put on wrong), this causes the engine to run badly if at all and lack power. If the engine is in time there could be valve damage from the belt skipping or stripping while it was running before. Disconnect the fuel injectors one at a time to check for dead cylinders.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:13 AM
Default i am not mechanically savy...

how do i Disconnect the fuel injectors one at a time to check for dead cylinders

i am not mechanically savy... if you tell me what it looks like i can check it

but i do not know what id be looking for...

ps- thanks for the reply.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 AM
Recognized HCF Member

First you (or have someone else, preferably not your brother) need to double check that the timing is proper. Then if it still doesn't run right, check for dead cylinders.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:16 PM
Banned

sounds like who ever did it ****ed up the timing