Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me diagnose a click/tick

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Default Help me diagnose a click/tick

I have a 99 civic EX with about 65,000mi. When I accererate hard from a rolling start with clutch engaged I get a loud "tick" from what seems to be the right front. I'll hear the same "tick" when I let off the gas. I can do it in second gear if I quickly hit the gas then "tick" and if I'm at high RPM's and abruptly let off the gas theres another "tick". I originally thought it was a CV joint but no noise at all when turning or rolling. It has been there for about 6 months, but every time I brought it to the dealer they could not reproduce the noise. It is getting progressively louder and more consistent, or easier to ellicit the noise. I'm leaning away from it being the cv joint, the boot looks great, but I have no idea of where to start looking. Please help me focus on what could be wrong. It's getting alittle loud and I'm starting to worry about somethig breaking.........

Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help me diagnose a click/tick

Welcome to HCF!! Not sure about the problem you are having. Just take it back to the dealer and have them ride with you while you drive and reproduce the sound. I've noticed all the those little odd noises and problems always hide when you take it to the dealer)

Old 09-06-2005, 02:52 PM
HCF Member

My car does same thing

Old 09-07-2005, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the welcome to HCF!! Yeah, I'll probably try to run it back to the dealer to see what they say, I have the extended warranty so I might as well try to use it. I have just had bad juju with the dealers and since my car is lowered with some mods I know they will probably try to say they caused the parts to fail. My car has a stalling problem and they said it was the wiring from the aftermarket alarm and charged me 200 bucks to fix the wiring on the ignition switch. Later I read the recall on the ignition switch causing that same problem. Funny how they forgot to mention that to me....I would like to just do it myself so I know my baby will be fixed right. The dealers always seem to screw something else up...Plus, if I do the work I can replace the problem parts with something better than the stock stuff that broke in the first place. When I first started hearing the sound I got happy thinking I had an excuse to buy some high strength axles. ... I would still love some advice as to where to look. I have had a couple people tell me that they have had similar sounds with worn engine mounts. The sound is like hitting a metal can with a screwdriver and it sure sounds lilke it's comming from the passenger side wheel area.

Old 09-07-2005, 02:03 PM
HCF Member

So is it just one loud tick when you wind it up tight and decelerate, or a continuous ticking? I know what you mean about the dealerships screwing you every chance they get. But, I don't mind going to them or calling with questions about the problem to have them help diagnose the issue, then fix it myself. I have a couple mechanics I deal with that don't mind doing a diagnosis and giving feedback on how to fix it. They way it sounds, motor mounts is a strong possibility. I'd have someone check that out or DIY. Since it's under warranty, I would definitely check back with the dealer. Wish I could be of more assistance...

Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 AM

You can tell if it's the motor mount like this:

1. Get a buddy you trust(with your life)
2. Make sure he's driven a stick before and knows what he's doing.
3. Have him lock the E-brake, Put it in gear and let out the clutch slowly, and then again fast, like he's gonna leave from a light.
4. While he's doing this, have your hood open, and looke inside at the motormounts and see if they hit or not. Or how much movement there is of the engine. There should be a good 1.5-3 inch movement of the engine. If you can see the m/m hitting, the you know your problem.

I trouble shooted this on my 93 lincoln cont. put it in drive and held the brake, gave it gas, adn watched the engine jump like a pogo stick..... I thought "time for new m/m". It was obvious though. Flooring it from a stop, it would "jump". Like giving a stick too much gas and letting out the clutch too fast. If you know wht you doing and looking for you shouldn't have a problem!

Good Luck!

Old 09-09-2005, 12:55 PM

Yep, It's just one tick. The motor mounts seem like a good place to start looking. I really appreciate the help. I'm going to check them tomorrow and see what to do from there. I think there is a deductible on the extended warranty so I'll have to check the price difference between the mount and the deductible if that turns out to be the culprit. Wish me luck!!

Old 09-10-2005, 05:06 AM

Rhino,
That is a pile of crap, that they made you pay for that ignition switch. You really should pursue this. Call the 800 number that was listed under the recall information, and have insist that something be done. The number was 1-800-999-1009. Nothing may come of it, but I would pursue this.
Jagman