Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

High pitch hissing/whistling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Default High pitch hissing/whistling noise?

I have a 2007 honda civic. For about the past 2 months everytime I get into my car and take off, it's making this high pitched noise, and it get louder as I accelerate. It's more faint when when I'm in park, but it does seem to idle more. The variation of the sound leads me to believe it's a belt. Is this something I will be able to do myself?

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by DrBobGI84
I have a 2007 honda civic. For about the past 2 months everytime I get into my car and take off, it's making this high pitched noise, and it get louder as I accelerate. It's more faint when when I'm in park, but it does seem to idle more. The variation of the sound leads me to believe it's a belt. Is this something I will be able to do myself?
that depends on how much you know about cars. If it helps the belts i know of are the power steering, a/c belt, alternator belt, and timing belt. however this is in my civic which is a 6th generation civic.

Last edited by briceman124; 11-07-2011 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 02:39 AM

According to a Honda bulletin I read a while ago this could be a fuel pump issue. You will need to replace that pump if it is the issue. Google it and I am sure you can find it. I remember they even had a sound embedded in the pdf document to help you diagnose the problem. I have the same problem and I have been driving this car for 2 years without a problem. Not sure of it will break down one day. I have Civic hybrid 2006.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:27 AM
HCF Member

hissing/whistling sounds more liek a vacuum leak to me. If it was a belt, it would be more of a squeal. pop the hood and listen and see if you can tell where its coming from. If its not in the enine compartment at all, i would look into the fuel pump issue that shormanm suggested. If it is comming from the engine, but doesnt sound liek its comming from the belts, my money is on a vac leak. heres a video on how to find a vacuum leak...

How To Find A Vacuum Leak - YouTube

btw, if you tend to do a lot of DIY fixes, i would really give his videos a look through, they really help out