Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Low fuel economy?

Old 01-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by simons81
That picture helps a ton. So I should remove the vacuum hose from the master cylinder and slowly pour a third of the bottle in the hose? Err, I guess, as the DIY says, submerge part of the hose into the bottle, which will then suck the fluid into the hose, but do so without completely flooding the hose right?
It's difficult to see, but the vacuum hose is actually connected to the brake booster. Pour the 1/3 can of Seafoam into a wide-mouthed glass container. With the engine idling and the hose disconnected, dip the end of the hose briefly into the Seafoam. The vacuum in the hose will suck fluid into the intake manifold. Repeat until all fluid is gone. Don't suck in so much fluid at one time that the engine dies. A lot of smoke will come out of the exhaust pipe with time -- don't worry it's normal.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:58 AM
HCF Member

I was planning on doing the IACV cleaning mentioned in the DIY. One thing I'm noticing about this car is it's rough idle. After fully warming up, the car seems to drop to about 4-500rpm (I know, the tach isn't incredibly accurate) and the car starts to lightly shake and shudder. Problem is, I can't find the IACV. In the DIY, it's located on the backside of the engine. On my engine, the air-filter box seems to be obscuring that area. Should I remove the box and attempt to find the IACV behind it, or could it be located elsewhere? (When I try to peak behind the box, and below the box, I still don't see it, and the manual doesn't seem to help...)

Last edited by simons81; 01-18-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

Well i just did the Seafoam treatment and my car does feel like it runs better. Will have to see how it reacts tommorrow since i just drove it around the block to fill up the tank and see it the Seafoam treatment would boost my MPG and clean the inside parts aswell.

Last edited by WILMER007; 01-18-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 PM
HCF Member

I still can't for the life of me find this IACV. I took off my air cleaner box dealy above the intake and I can't see it. Could someone help me locate it? I've added pictures below. When I start my car cold, it seems to idle at 1500rpm or so, which seems normal, but after it's heated up, it'll fluctuate... sometimes it'll be about 700-900rpm, sometimes as low as 300-400rpm. It'll start shuddering and seems like it's going to die. There is no check engine light on, so I'm not sure if that would disclude an O2 sensor or something. I do plan on doing my plugs, timing, rotor, distributor, etc, as mentioned in this thread, but I'm waiting for my OEM parts to arrive. Anyways, can someone look at my pics below and tell me if they see my IACV?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

Here you go follow the red arrow. That long tube is your Idle Air Control Valve. Learned that one from my girlfriend. Yeah funny right a girl that actually knows something about cars teaching a guy a little something right.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Sorry WILMER00, your red arrow is pointing to the fuel rail.

The diagram and picture below should help. In your picture, I circled the plastic portion of the IACV and its connector in red. By the way, the IACV also has two small coolant hoses attached to it.

Name:  picture_1878.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  49.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5584-1.jpg
Views: 2293
Size:  76.7 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 01-18-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM
HCF Member

Well it came from a girls mouth and fingers so what else can you expect. at least i know where the fuel rail is now...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

The thing I'm confused about is that the part you are pointing to doesn't look like the part that I'm seeing in other threads... On this thread, https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=62836 , I'm seeing a device that has one electrical connector and two tubes that connect to it. The one that you're pointing to in the pic looks quite a bit different. Could this be the same part? The engine I have is a D16Y7 if I recall the model numbers correctly...

Thanks!

Err, disregard this quote, I'm looking at Ron's right now...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by simons81
The thing I'm confused about is that the part you are pointing to doesn't look like the part that I'm seeing in other threads... On this thread, https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=62836 , I'm seeing a device that has one electrical connector and two tubes that connect to it. The one that you're pointing to in the pic looks quite a bit different. Could this be the same part? The engine I have is a D16Y7 if I recall the model numbers correctly...

Thanks!

Err, disregard this quote, I'm looking at Ron's right now...
All generations aren't the same. Ron is usually right. i would take off the cap he pointed out and see if it matches the diagram. The diagram looks just like the ones you see in the DIY just from a different angle. I knew i had i wrong when i looked at the pics earlier but what can i say but never listen to a girl ever again.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

Hey Ron, do you think I need to pull off the air cleaner box once again to get this part off or is this something I should be able to do while leaving it on? Furthermore, I've seen some threads that mention leaving the heater tubes attached while cleaning this thing, while others mention removing it completely to clean. What's your take?

Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Low fuel economy?