Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

IS MY MOTOR LOCKED UP?? please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 05:35 AM
Default IS MY MOTOR LOCKED UP?? please help

I have a 2000 civic ex 5speed d16. Other day I was late to work an on the freeway I was speeding an had to go around a semi or I woulda missed my exit. I dropped it down a gear an took off starting to redline it then put it into 5th. Once I got on my exit which is down hill . I always put it in neutral an roll to the light. Once I put it in neutral the motor shut off but lights n everything else still on. Since I'm going down a hill I figured I'd put it in 3rd to jump it. Then the motor jumped an ran till finally I got to the light which was red so I put it back in neutral while I was waiting thinking its no big deal. Well motor shut off again this time it wouldnt even CRANK by key.

I checked battery which is good.
Starter is good
Timing belt good
Sparkplugs good
No blown fuses or wires
Wouldn't push start

UPDATED
Mechanic called ... said he had to crank really hard an got it started 3times an was making a weird sound an just shut off an wontstart again. He said he didn't wanna mess with it Moe but has an hour in it. Go figure. I dunno if he's.just feeding me basic bull**** ..

Last edited by Coreylee22; 04-10-2014 at 06:07 AM. Reason: updating information
Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Key OFF, transmission in neutral, put a socket wrench on the crank pulley bolt and try to turn the engine counterclockwise (the way it normally turns) by hand. If it can't turn it is locked up. If it seems locked, remove all the spark plugs and try again. Sometimes the locking is due to coolant that has leaked from a blown head gasket into the cylinders (hydro-locked). Also you can remove the belts in case it is the A/C or the alternator that is locked up instead of the engine itself. This is a long shot in your case. When those lock while driving, the belts typically just break.

Abruptly shifitng like you did is prone to be the moment the timing belt strips, which can cause the valves to crash and lock the engine. If you can turn the crank back and forth some, but not all the way around, take the timing belt cover off and confirm that the cam is acutually moving.

If you <i>can</i> turn the engine all the way around by hand, it should turn with the starter also. So you would need to double check the starting system.

As a side note, rolling downhill in neutral uses gas to keep the engine idling. Leaving it in gear actually saves gas.

Last edited by mk378; 04-09-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:26 AM

Yes I can turn the crank. But not all way around. Its more of back an forth less then an inch apart. I looked at the timing belt an looked absolutely fine. An also it ran when in gear. But once I was at the light waiting I put in neutral an held the brake an it shut off. Since I was at a complete stop I couldn't jump it in gear like a did the coming down the exit. An now wont even crank. But the times It did die it didn't like struggle or putt or noises of anything breaking it was just a calm shut off. I also already took the spark plugs out an turned it. Was still back n forth trying to turn all the way.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:33 AM

Like a week before all this when I would pull into my driveway ofcourse I'd put it in neutral an roll n my parking spot an its shut off while turning into my spot but its only did that like twice. An after those two times it would still start right up. The entire time I've had the car.

Last edited by Coreylee22; 04-09-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Get someone to hold the clutch pedal down while you turn, to be sure it's not the transmission. It appears though that there is a problem inside the engine.