Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Need Help for Applicable engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Default Need Help for Applicable engines

hey whats up guys? yeah i know my name lol i own an SRT-4 but im posting up here for my brother. he has a 2004 civic coupe (model unknown right now) but its a SOHC no vtec, but a piece of plastic says vtec but i dont think it has it, although as certain SOHC models came with it.

but heres the issue, my brothers engine just sh*t out and he needs a new radiator, engine and a heater core.

what i need to know is what engines can mount right up in his bay and which of those will mount to his trans. he has a manual 5-spd tranny. he said his engine years are from 01-05. and that honda had some issues with bad engines during some years, and idk whether his year is apart of those engines or not.

so i know most honda and acura motors are interchangeable between eachother but im not honda savvy so i need a nice quick list of any engine he can buy thatll bolt right up in his car, for sensors, trans, etc. just a nice simple engine drop in so he can drive from A to B. its his DD.

appreciate the help guys, and any info you guys can give me. thanks

-Aaron

Old 01-19-2011, 11:28 AM

If it's non vtec, he has a D17A1 engine. He pretty much has two options. Swap in a D17a2, either by just doing a head swap (aka "mini-me") to gain vtec, or swap in a K20 or other K series engine. A d17 engine will swap in no problem, and work with the transmission. A K series swap will require a little work and a K series transmission, etc.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:46 AM

Replacement motor, D17a2, or K series.

Depending on his money, power goals, experience, these would be his options.

Old 01-19-2011, 11:51 AM

nah he doesnt have any power goals. its just a A to B DD car. so basically a D17a1 or D17a2 motor will bolt right up and surface no issues?. he just got a brand new clutch for the car before the engine crapped out so he wants to keep the d17 trans im sure.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 AM

hey whats up again guys? thanks again so much for the previous info but yet again got a few questions.

but first, my brother ended up getting a motor and everything, ended up being the d17a2 with vtec motor as original from factory. so thats settled. but now, i think he is just paranoid, but he said he is hearing a lot of noises he hasent heard before (with old motor) but the old motor had over 130k on it and the new motor only has about 28k on it. came over from japan.

but my question now is did those motors as SOHC with vtec (d17a2) did they often have noisy heads? i can indefinately hear the injectors as theyre clicking, as i can in my SRT, so thats not any worries. but i can hear slight noise from the top end. and for some reason when you let off the throttle, theres slight vibration noise from what seems to be around the throttle body.

i know noisy heads arent necessarily bad, but some cars were just manufactured wrong in a sense and have noisy heads. so i just wanna be sure that may be the case with this motor. and then the TB noise concern. you can hear it while your driving but only when you let off the throttle. but at idle you can hear it a lot easier and its more often at idle then cruising.

appreciate any help and input. thanks guys!
-Aaron

Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 AM

Its probably just chattering valves. Do a valve adjustment. That'll quiet it down. There are DIY videos all over youtube. It's really easy.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:25 AM

yeah thats what i figured. ill look into that DIY.

what do you think about the vibration noise near the throttle body? and the fact that it responds to however much throttle you give. i know the head obviously responds, but its a different and distinctive noise in itself that differs from the head.

thanks man