Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 07:25 AM
san
HCF Member
Default Noises

At first, my car would make noise everytime I would move the steering wheel. I thought it was my CV Axle because it needed to be replaced. After replacing it, the noise went away. Lately, that noise has came back making it even louder. I took a look in that general area (driver side) and see that a boot is ripped, not the CV Axle. I beleive it is the rachet pinion? I am not sure, and I am trying to figure out what it may be. I think it is attached to the steering wheel. Anyone might know what that is called?

Old 02-17-2006, 09:30 AM
Default RE: Noises

there are rubber boots on both your rack and pinion and your cv joints. there are two cv joints per axle, inner and outer. they are covered by rubber boots, which are known to rip open on hondas. when this happens, dirt gets in, the grease gets out and your cv joint is no good. your axles go straight from your wheel hubs into your tranny, on both sides. there is a cv joint directly behind each wheel hub, then another on the other end of hte axle, where it enters your transmission. If it is one of these boots, then it's your cv joint and you're better off just replacing hte entire axle. a little further back (toward the firewall) is your steering rack.... there are rubber boots on this too and i believe they cover your inner tie rod ends. which boot on your car is ripped. also can you describe the noise? clunking at slow speeds and in turns is a cv joint. if there's a problem with your rack and pinion or your inner tie rods, i believe you'll just experience excessive play in your steering.

Old 02-17-2006, 05:02 PM
san
HCF Member
Default RE: Noises

my cv axles and boots are fine. it is the rack and pinion boots that are broken. That area squeaks really loud like there is no grease there. Do i have to replace the whole thing or just regrease and get new boots for the rack and pinion?