Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

shifting gears problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 AM
Default shifting gears problem

Hi,
I am driving 1993 honda civic coupe since 2 yrs now with 150K on it. Recently, i had new performance muffler with straight pipe and AEM cold air intake.
Now, i started having prob. with the car heating up pretty soon yes, i have to change coolant often now once in 2-3 weeks.
My main issue is on uphill slopes my 1st and 2nd gear goes waayyyyy slow and then once i reach the straight road it picks up quickly. This didnt happen before and i aint sure why this started havin a prob. since a month now. the 3 rd and 4th gears are fine i dont see any problem with it. I have already done the tune up but still didnt see any difference in performace yet in first 2 gears.
I need to fix this prob. before i take it to long drive please let me know.
note: also gears are bit hard to shift its not easy.
cheers

Old 07-03-2008, 08:52 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: shifting gears problem

If you are saying the engine frequently overheats, then:

1) Check whether there is a coolant leak and whether the radiator fan runs when the engine is hot

2) Replace the thermostat and bleed the cooling system of trapped air

3) Verify that coolant flows freely through the radiator

4) Check for a blown head gasket

Post answers in your thread to get more feedback.

Regarding difficulties shifting, try draining the transmission fluid and replacing with fresh Honda fluid.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:20 PM

So, i went to mechanic and got few things fixed:
1. Problem with overheating: SOLVED
- replaced thermostat and flussed the coolant
2. changed the engine gasket there was a oil leak so that got solved too.

3. Regarding difficulties shifting: UNSOLVED
- I did the compression test all that but nothing bad came up so i assume the timing belt needs to me replaced which is causing my car hard to pickup in 1 and 2nd gear generally on slopes. My car has 145K on it and belt has been never changed. the labor cost is $200 is that ok?
- if i get the belt replaced should i also ask for draning the trans oil (it was already been done in March)?
I want to make sure if timing belt is the main root of the problem or should i be looking somewhere else.

let me know

cheers

Old 07-08-2008, 02:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ORIGINAL: chikna
3. Regarding difficulties shifting: UNSOLVED
- I did the compression test all that but nothing bad came up so i assume the timing belt needs to me replaced which is causing my car hard to pickup in 1 and 2nd gear generally on slopes. My car has 145K on it and belt has been never changed. the labor cost is $200 is that ok?
- if i get the belt replaced should i also ask for draning the trans oil (it was already been done in March)?
I want to make sure if timing belt is the main root of the problem or should i be looking somewhere else.
You must change the timing belt ASAP. If it snaps or slips, major engine damage is likely to result.

Regarding the poor pick up, check the ignition timing with a timing gun.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM

So here is the quick update:
I changed the timing belt and clutch. After these changes car runs way smooth now and same with easy gear shifting. But the problem still exists on uphill slopes it doesnt run smooth instead i have to step on accelator hard to match the speed limit. Also, i did the compression test but that didnt show any vital signs either.
Now, my mechanic told me that i need to change the axle in few months as it is going bad. So i aint sure if this is the problem that is causing running on slope. Should i change transmission oil? and then see? note i had recently put AEM cold air intake with HKS straight pipe exhaust. let me know please

Old 07-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Was the spark timing checked/adjusted after changing the timing belt?

Old 07-18-2008, 10:07 AM

yes my mechanic did check that.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:51 AM
Recognized HCF Member

As mk suggests, you may want to recheck the ignition timing with a timing light. The 2P service connector above the ECU must be jumped with a wire to check/set the timing. The engine must be warmed fully and idling normally, and the pointer should align with the red mark (middle in group of three).