Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Small Tick from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 05:54 PM
mb1
Default Small Tick from Engine

I'm new to Honda; but was looking for a good gas mileage vehicle, and found a great deal on a 1992 civic 1.5l d15b7. Long story short, found out it had a blown head gasket. I have replaced the head gasket, timing belt, water pump, valve cover gasket, plugs etc. Then drove it for about ten minutes, and the oil pressure light comes on. Drive immediately towards home for approximately 2 or 3 miles, 4 or 5 minutes engine begins a slight tick, and I immediately shut engine off. I know a should have shut engine off as soon as the oil pressure light came on, but you live and learn. I'm pretty sure I have an oil screen clogged or oil pump failure. My question is: how much, if any, engine damage do I have now. I think the tick is a lifter, and of course I changed the oil and filter when I did the head gasket. The oil and filter and head probably only have 5 or 6 miles on them. I also had the head machined when I was in the process of the head gasket change. I have even turned engine over and it fired right up, heard the tick again and immediately shut engine off. Engine wasn't running for even 5 seconds during the turn over. I'm hoping I can fix the oil pressure problem, put fresh oil in, and be okay at that point. Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. And if I've left any information out that is needed, just let me know. I will probably only be able to check this thread in the evenings, just FYI.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Old 06-08-2011, 12:15 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yep, live and learn. You are probably hearing rod knock after ruining the crank and rod bearings from no oil. The engine does not have valve lifters, the valve clearance is pre-set with set screws.