Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

starter doesnt work after clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 09:11 AM
HCF Member
Default starter doesnt work after clutch install

i have a 89 civic si hatchback model and me and a friend threw in a new clutch last night and put everything back correctly. we tryed to start the car and it was as if the clutch pedal wasnt pushed in when u try to start it. it wouldnt let the starter engage. i roll started it and it ran just fine. clutch did great.

but we even tried to start it with a screw driver at the solinoid and it would spin the starter motor but wouldnt engage the gear to the flywheel. there are three wires running from the tranny to the front of the motor. i know i got them right but the last ones hard to get in place. i figured maybe this is the relay from the clutch pedal.

does anyone have any idea. and its a newer starter so surely it didnt just go bad when we put it back on or could it?

Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 AM
HCF Member

Check your fuses and check the connectors on the transmission. Something could have been knocked loose.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Recognized HCF Member

You probably forgot to reconnect the transmission ground wire. It runs from the engine to the transmission and must be connected for the starter to work.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by RonJ
You probably forgot to reconnect the transmission ground wire. It runs from the engine to the transmission and must be connected for the starter to work.
well i connected the ground wire to the clutch cables bracket that is bolted to the tranny. i couldnt find anywhere else that the ground wire would reach on the tranny to bolt it to. the car runs fine if you roll start it.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

OK to test the starter by jumping it, you need to connect the small terminal to battery +. Do not bridge the two big terminals on the solenoid. It will probably just spin but not pull in if you do that.

If jumping the starter makes it start, check the fuses under the dash. One of them is for the starter. The relay is also under the dash. The only wiring that affects the starter under the hood is the big power and ground wires and the small wire to the solenoid.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

ok well im gonna check it out tomorrow after i get home from college. ill keep you guys posted and let you know what ive done. i have the service manual so this shouldnt be to hard

Old 02-03-2010, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by mk378
OK to test the starter by jumping it, you need to connect the small terminal to battery +. Do not bridge the two big terminals on the solenoid. It will probably just spin but not pull in if you do that.

If jumping the starter makes it start, check the fuses under the dash. One of them is for the starter. The relay is also under the dash. The only wiring that affects the starter under the hood is the big power and ground wires and the small wire to the solenoid.
ok from what i can tell theres one main wire running to the starter. i think its power. shouldnt there be a ground too and something else.lol i never messed with a starter so its a new game for me.

Old 02-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The starter grounds locally on the engine.

Two power wires attach to the starter:

Name:  picture_4361.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  78.0 KB

Old 02-03-2010, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

ok im pretty sure there both there. ill check in the morning but i wasnt paying any attention to the black/white wire. im pretty sure its there though thanks.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

your gonna think im stupid but sure enough lol the black/white wire was unplugged. its fine now. now i gotta put on a brake hose and it will be done. thanks for the advice everyone.