Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Steering collum issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 02:33 PM
HCF Member
Default Steering collum issues

I've got a problem hopefully someone can help me out...

SOMETIMES when im on the freeway (65mph ish) something in the steering column seems to be vibrating and making noise. pretty loud noise.
it vibrates a little, but the noise is really loud. like heavy metal hitting...not sure how to explain it..lol
but it only does it sometimes,
i can be driving at a constant speed, ~65mph for like 10 minutes straight,
and nothing will happend, or sometimes it will just start doing it out of nowhere.
I'm gonna jack up the car either today or tomorrow, but im just not sure what i should be looking for.

any help would be appreciated
Thanks

Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 AM
HCF Member

Bump..?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

....bump....

Old 12-14-2010, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If there's noticeable shaking at highway speed, start by checking the tire pressures and having the wheels balanced.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
HCF Member

I've checked tire pressure.
and rotated tires... havent gotten them balanced since i'll be buying new tires within next month.

What is really wierd to me is that it makes really loud "clanking" sound coming directly underneath the steering collum. I've taken out the whole plastic things on the collum looking for anything loose and i couldnt find anything. sounds like 2 metal bars hitting eachother. i thought it might be something loose or something.

There is nothing common that would cause this noise?

Whats wierd is that it only does it sometimes. sometimes i can be fine doing 65 the whole freeway trip. or sometimes i'll have it start making noise as soon as i get on the freeway..
And i tought that if it was something like the tires needing to be balanced, it would do it every time i hit the same speed, you know?

Thanks for the response =]

Old 12-15-2010, 08:59 PM
HCF Member

"Whats wierd is that it only does it sometimes. sometimes i can be fine doing 65 the whole freeway trip. or sometimes i'll have it start making noise as soon as i get on the freeway"

Same stretch of freeway or random stretches? Through 95, Civics have notoriously stiff suspensions (stock) and that will just get worse with higher miles. Well, that's the case with me anyways and my 88 which has pretty low miles for it's year. If it is random streches of freeway, have the suspension checked out. An at home test is jumping and pressing down on the wheel wells and seeing if they bounce or just recover. If the sound is coming from the steering column though, a random, novice guess would be start with the joint right before it passes through the firewall. This is under the dash past the plastic you took off. Good luck!