Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Unusual tire sounds/vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Question Unusual tire sounds/vibrations

Hello. I have a Honda Civic EX 2007. A few months ago, I began to notice that whenever I was slowing down, pressing the brake pedal, that I could hear and "feel" in the steering wheel a slight pulsating sensation. In addition to this, whenever driving around 25-40mph, I can hear and similar sound in what seems to be coming from the front of the vehicle...a slight pulsating sound. Also, when driving home in the evenings from work, normally when the temperature has gone down, my car seems to vibrate in this same pulsating way, and eventually goes away once I have been driving for a few minutes.

If I remember correctly, it seems that the problem began when I had my tires rotated and brake pads changed. I had new tires and rotors put on the car last winter, around January/February.

When I'm driving on the interstate at normal speeds, there isn't any unusual vibrations. The only time I seem to hear the pulsating sound is if I engage the brake, and especially while slowing down coming off an exit ramp or just in general.

Any ideas? I'm getting ready to take a 500 mile trip to NYC, and don't know if this is something that I should be worrying about. I plan on having it checked out generally before I go, but wonder if there may be a serious problem that is worth getting checked out.

Thanks

Old 11-18-2010, 04:50 PM
HCF Member

If your tire rotation involved putting the rear tires on the front then you must research Honda TSB 08-001 which involves uneven REAR TIRE WEAR causing what sounds like "bearing problems". We also have a 2007 EX and it wore out our first set of tires in about 10,000 miles BECAUSE we load down the rear suspension whenever we load up to do the winter Snowbird thingy. These rear suspensions (06 thru 09) have a dynamic CAMBER CHANGE and TOE CHANGE with changes in the suspension loads. The upper CAMBER arm was shipped for a fixed CAMBER of -1.5 Degrees. TSB 08-001 recommended changing out the Rear Upper Camber Arm to give a fixed CAMBER of -0.75 Degrees. This change did little for our situation. Instead I put on 3rd party adjustable CAMBER arms and set mine to 0.0 Degrees to fix the problem. We now have 65,000 miles with normal rear tire wear AND we are still loading it down twice every winter for 3600 miles of driving.

Search this forum for "08-001" and you will get lots of information on the problem.

Last edited by civic2001; 11-18-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Search this forum for "08-001"