Suspension, Brakes, Tires & Wheels Talk about your suspension, tires, wheels and brakes within.

Unusual tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 11:40 PM
Thumbs down Unusual tire wear

As I was painting my rims the other day I had all 4 rims off. The aft left hand side tire was worn down on the inside tread. So im looking to see why the tread is wearing like that (the tire was practically new yet it was bald on the inside) Now Im not to good with technical names so bare with me... The whole assembly that the rim bolts on (rotor, axle, etc) was not aligned correctly, maybe. It is slightly slanted with the top to the inside and the bottom going outside. What I dont know is where to start to try and fix it. Is it the springs or struts? or do I just need to find a junkyard with a civic like mine and take the part. Someone told me that it could be some kind of adjuster since the rims I have now are 17 in and the factory were probably 15 or 16 it maybe be out of line for that but none of the other tires are, plus I do not see any way to adjust it. Any help will be greatly appreciated I can take pictures if that would be easier. Thanks.

Old 08-23-2008, 01:11 AM
HCF Member

sounds like you need an alignment. bring it to a shop

Old 08-23-2008, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

Yah my old tires were wearing on the outside and it was toe in but since yours are wearing on the inside your car is toe out so all you need to do take it to a shop have them do a 4 wheel alighment on your civ and it costed me about 70 bucks or 60 i dunno but well worth it and it will save you money in the long run so you wont have to keep on buying those expensive tires. so bottom line get it to a shop quick and have them do a 4 wheel alighment

Old 08-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Recognized HCF Member

dito simple alignment and then get a new tire for it..

Old 08-24-2008, 05:26 AM
HCF Member

I know this is a litle off subject but addiction2bass i have a 2000 civic ex and want to lower my car well what kind of lowering kit do you have on your car liek what kind of parts did you all buy to lower it and how low did you go all i wanna do is about 1.5 inches and dont wanna burn my tires up fast and i want it to ride smooth

Old 08-24-2008, 12:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

koni yellow adjustable struts, Ground Control coilovers adjustable, skunk2 tuner front, skunk2 rear camber. NOT A CHEAP DROP AT ALL! BUT i love the adjust ability! im not really fully slammed either. i need the GC tophats so the struts are not riding on the bump stops. its as low as i can go for a daily driver in my area.

hardest thing is finding a shop that has a inground alignment rack for my drop.LOL

Old 08-25-2008, 04:52 PM
HCF Member

yah well hey man it looks good i have a 00 ex and wanting to do a simple drop like 1 inch to 1.6 inches how low do you have it now i am thinkin about tein springs or springs i dunno about coil overs but then i wanna do it the right way and the way where it rides the smoothest so what do you recomend just springs and camber kit and shocks or what all should i get i dont wanna drop it alot so what do you think i should do i will probably do it about next spring dont have all the money now and would rather do it when its warmer next year cause going to start getting cold here soon. I will probably spend about 400 or so how much did you spend

Old 08-26-2008, 09:41 AM

Thanks for the input ill let you know how it turns out whenever i get some free time to take it to a shop.

Old 08-26-2008, 01:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Enance
As I was painting my rims the other day I had all 4 rims off. The aft left hand side tire was worn down on the inside tread. So im looking to see why the tread is wearing like that (the tire was practically new yet it was bald on the inside) Now Im not to good with technical names so bare with me... The whole assembly that the rim bolts on (rotor, axle, etc) was not aligned correctly, maybe. It is slightly slanted with the top to the inside and the bottom going outside. What I dont know is where to start to try and fix it. Is it the springs or struts? or do I just need to find a junkyard with a civic like mine and take the part. Someone told me that it could be some kind of adjuster since the rims I have now are 17 in and the factory were probably 15 or 16 it maybe be out of line for that but none of the other tires are, plus I do not see any way to adjust it. Any help will be greatly appreciated I can take pictures if that would be easier. Thanks.
Name:  picture_1345.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  120.9 KB

Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM

need to have it aligned. your camber could be off, or toe is way off. when i put my full Skunk2 coil over kit on my 93 coupe, i lowered it about 1.5". then i put it on the alignment rack (i'm a chrysler/jeep tech) put 200lbs in drivers seat to match my weight so it's at ride height while doing the alignmnet. i put front and rear Skunk2 camber adjustment kits on as well. the alignment turned out perfect!! i haven't had an issue with tire wear at all and it handle's like a dream! if you can find a shop that will do the alignment with you in the car that would be the best!! i live in arizona, let me know if i can help....