Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VACCUM AND CV JOINT HELP

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Default VACCUM AND CV JOINT HELP

Hey guys. I just acquired a 90 civic LX 4 door. I do not know much about these cars.I finally got a new battery in it and got it up and running.The car runs smoothly for a while, but after it warms up, the motor revs up and down constantly instead of having a smooth idle. (Not to the point of dying or red lining, just an annoying up and down revving) I am pretty sure it is a vacuum hose, but there are a lot of hoses going everywhere under the hood and I am not sure what hose to be looking at. Also, how does anyone even check for a leak in a vacuum hose anyway? (You cannot spray soapy water on it and look for a leak) I felt around and visually inspected all the hoses and did not see any rips or holes. Does anyone have any pictures or can find me a picture of the vacuum hose I need to be checking and or replacing. If you think it is something else to, please let me know.

Also, when I turn left I can hear a clicking grinding sound coming out of the right front wheel. I am pretty sure it is a CV joint. I have only replaced these on my ATV, never on a car. Before I tear into it, is this something that can be done in the garage with average tools? (There is nothing pressed on or something I need a special tool for etc?) Also if you have any links to pictures or step-by-step instructions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks again,
Lowdown-
lowdown187@hotmail.com

Old 07-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Default RE: VACCUM AND CV JOINT HELP

For one go buy a Haynes or Chilton manual or better yet search here for a Helms online manual.

And the axle install isnt very complicated theres no pressing but youll need to have some tranny fluid on hand. because it will leak out... The axles will probably be pretty well in there so make sure you have a good prybar to get the last casing out. but definitely get a manual. its pretty simple to do and dont need no really special tools.